• FORUM DONATIONS OPEN The forum relies on your help to continue running, if you would like to help keep the forum running then you can find out about donating here

Is this a good idea to make the cage bigger?

adussiaQ

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Over the past few months I’ve been saving money in order to re-do my piggies cages and set up. The c&c cage I currently have is an upgrade form the store bought cage I had which was under the minimum but at the time the only option.
However, I’m not happy with the current cage either as the top cage where my boy Jelly lives, is just about the minimum that is required. It is very hard for me to make it bigger due to the space available but I think I found a solution and I’m hoping to get your opinion on this!
Basically the idea is to add a “loft-like” floor. Now, there is few reasons why normal loft is a no no for me. Firstly, Jelly is not a good climber and he wouldn’t use the ramp, secondly there would be an issue with the space as the cage can’t go much higher and last probably most obvious... adding a loft doesn’t really add floor space.
So, my plan is to modify the grids in order to make a loft that is just 3-4 inches above his current floor, and instead of a ramp bending two grids just to make bridge like structure that he’ll be able to walk on just like the rest of the cage. This way his cage will be over the minimum size and the loft-likepart will be supported by a wooden block that is current in the way (hence I can’t just add to the existing floor). This is hard to imagine so I drew what I mean (I’m not a good artist but I hope you can see what I mean) and also a picture of the wood part that’s there for you to see how much higher the section will be.
So, what do you think?
This would increase the size of his cage by 1x2 grids + the bridge.
ideally this would be his cage for about a year as I will be moving in a year time so I will be redoing the cage and set up again hopefully to more practical one.
Hope you and your pets are well and safe during these strange times,
Adrianna

DEC18C6F-F11C-4E92-A0F5-D06E48D987B5.jpeg494E5E80-4470-475B-B9D8-D8761AC50ADF.jpeg

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
I think it looks like a good solution and a nice way to use what you have to offer him more space.
Well done for being so creative.

Can we see a picture of the whole set up as it currently is, becasue this might help make your idea clearer.

adussiaQ

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I think it looks like a good solution and a nice way to use what you have to offer him more space.
Well done for being so creative.

Can we see a picture of the whole set up as it currently is, becasue this might help make your idea clearer.
sure! This is his current cage, like I said it barely makes the minimum So I want to expand as much as I can.
He used to roam freely on the floor for most of the day which meant he had a lot more space (He even trained himself to pee in a litter box) but since lockdown I’ve been working and studying from home meaning there is loads of caves/ books/ fabrics/ printer etc all over the place so it’s unsafe for him to be out other than a small patch of the floor which is about the same size as his cage anyway.

my initial set up had him on the floor with the other piggies but separated with grids but not only did that mean he had less space but also him and Fluff don’t get along so much they would attack the grids and Fluff would even take his anger out on his cage mate. (Biting and mounting etc). Separating him this way was the only option to avoid injuries.
Hope the new set up will be more roomy for him as I want to get more hides and fleece stuff for him :love:D9D25FA2-7E80-438A-B723-744318167FD8.jpeg

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
It is actually not a bad set up for a single piggy, but of course more room is always good.
Given what you are working with I think you are doing a great job offering him a nice home. Maybe you could also try and increase the enrichment in his cage - more hides (old cardboard boxes are good for this) and a couple of tunnels?

adussiaQ

New Born Pup
Reaction score
It is actually not a bad set up for a single piggy, but of course more room is always good.
Given what you are working with I think you are doing a great job offering him a nice home. Maybe you could also try and increase the enrichment in his cage - more hides (old cardboard boxes are good for this) and a couple of tunnels?
Yes he usually has more but this was soon after I cleaned his cage so everything was in the wash. Since he will now have more space I’m planning on buying a wooden hide as although they enjoy fleece items they seem to usually lay on top of them rather than go inside. Perhaps it’s too hot for them inside because of how thick the fleece is :hmm:
Thank you for your reply by the way! I really appreciate your opinion and I can’t wait to start expanding his cage