• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

proudpigmom

New Born Pup
Reaction score
From what I read, I think it is because they are both young (6 months and 4 months) males but I want to double check my specific situation. I got one pig from a family who was going to send him to a rescue when he was about 3 months and he was fairly aggressive and not friendly. After 3 months of having him, giving him a better home, he started to become friendlier to me and other critters, so I thought I would at least attempt to introduce him to another guinea pig since they are social.

Introducing them went fine and I had a second environment ready for if they really did not mix well. I introduced the new pig, Oliver, 4 days ago now. No blood. They snapped at each other once. Mostly a lot of dominant displays by Checkers, the rescued one, with only a little challenge.

Four days on, Checkers is still chasing the smaller Oliver around the cage and rumblestrutting. I haven't noticed any food guarding, toy guarding, or water guarding... Checkers even lets Oliver sit in his favorite spot without an issue. They have some of their own things (food and water) but they both eat and drink from both without incident. And sometimes they sit close together (not touching, but they have a curtained area they both sit in together) without any sounds or issues. Oliver really likes this one tunnel and sleeps there and sometimes Checkers even puts his face by Oliver's and naps too. However, for 30 minutes at a time, there will be on and off rumblestrutting by Checkers. He will go for a few minutes, then stop. Look around. Start again. This sometimes leads to chasing. As far as I see, there is no nipping or biting at each other. They do start jumping, but not at each other. Just straight up kind of like a bunny. Other than the low purr of the rumblestrut, there's no noise either. This happens throughout the day and night.

Is this normal for young male pigs? It seems overall that they get along, but I want to double check they are both safe.

Thank you!

Yes I think that this is completely normal, they are sorting out their pecking order! As long as no blood is drawn and there is no food or water guarding I think you should be okay. Just keep an eye on them just in case it gets any worse as it should be dialing down now.

All sounds good to me. Normal mild dominance from two very happy piggies who are doing zoomies (the running around) and popcorning (the jumping in the air).

Welcome to the forum.
Well done bonding 2 boars and for considering his needs.
Please do let us see pictures of your boys

Welcome to the forum.
Well done bonding 2 boars and for considering his needs.
Please do let us see pictures of your boys

Thank you!
I love both of my boys and the last thing I would want is either of them getting hurt... I'd feel so bad!

Checkers is the little guy peeking out of my robe in my icon picture. I usually wear that or towel over my shoulders when I hold my pigs so they don't accidentally scratch me if I wear something short sleeved or sleeveless. Checkers tends to fall asleep on it though!

oliver.jpg

And this is Oliver. He is entirely black including all his skin, toes, nails, eyes... everything. He is kind of shy but very mellow and quiet.

Thank you again for the welcome and compliment. I am glad it turned out okay and that Checkers ended up being able to live with someone because life is always better with friends.

Handsome boy Oliver.
All black piggies look so sleek.
Hopefully we will get better pics of Oliver as well.
Snuggling in the robe sounds good

Sounds like everything is fine to me! Popcorning and zoomies means happy piggies!

:wel: to our friendly forum.

Thank you for the friendly welcome! It is so funny to watch them popcorn, I just wanted to be sure it meant they are happy since I am a pretty new piggie owner. It's gotten better because Oliver has even taught Checkers to climb on things (Checkers has always been afraid of stairs, steps... anything you needed to climb) along with popcorning together.

Thank you for the friendly welcome! It is so funny to watch them popcorn, I just wanted to be sure it meant they are happy since I am a pretty new piggie owner. It's gotten better because Oliver has even taught Checkers to climb on things (Checkers has always been afraid of stairs, steps... anything you needed to climb) along with popcorning together.
It does look a bit odd sometimes doesn't it? Mine do a twitchy head shake thing right before they popcorn. Freaked me out at the beginning. Hahaha.

It does look a bit odd sometimes doesn't it? Mine do a twitchy head shake thing right before they popcorn. Freaked me out at the beginning. Hahaha.

Mine do a twitchy head thing too sometimes! Definitely is scary because body language is so much different, but it is glad to get reassurance that things are normal by other piggie owners.

Back