• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Is this normal...

Slmc__

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi! So ive only had my guinea pigs for about two weeks and I'm a bit worried about their recent behavior. Theyre both sows (tallulah and tabby) i got tallulah (whos quiet, shy, hidden away) two days before tabby(whos outgoing and adventurous), i did the “bath bonding” thing and cleaned EVERYTHING so no scents were on anything. Theyve been doing the whole dominance dance for these past two weeks. Yesterday it seemed to have become a bit aggressive (to my untrained eyes), no blood has been drawn but tabby started pulling hair from tallulahs backside, rumblestrutting a lot, the chasing is still going on, and they started head pushing eachother. I feel like tallulah is becoming more withdrawn... I understand some of these behaviors are necessary but i just dont want Tallulah to be miserable...Tabby seems to really want to be alpha, i dont think tallulah cares much but tabby seems to want to need to put her in her place. I just dont want it to get worse and i wanna know if this is normal? If theyre leading up to aggresion? And how long does it last?... will they ever just settle down or are they just not a good fit?

Hi! So ive only had my guinea pigs for about two weeks and I'm a bit worried about their recent behavior. Theyre both sows (tallulah and tabby) i got tallulah (whos quiet, shy, hidden away) two days before tabby(whos outgoing and adventurous), i did the “bath bonding” thing and cleaned EVERYTHING so no scents were on anything. Theyve been doing the whole dominance dance for these past two weeks. Yesterday it seemed to have become a bit aggressive (to my untrained eyes), no blood has been drawn but tabby started pulling hair from tallulahs backside, rumblestrutting a lot, the chasing is still going on, and they started head pushing eachother. I feel like tallulah is becoming more withdrawn... I understand some of these behaviors are necessary but i just dont want Tallulah to be miserable...Tabby seems to really want to be alpha, i dont think tallulah cares much but tabby seems to want to need to put her in her place. I just dont want it to get worse and i wanna know if this is normal? If theyre leading up to aggresion? And how long does it last?... will they ever just settle down or are they just not a good fit?

Hi!

One of your girls has likely just come into season. The hubbub should be over within a day or so. The first seasons in a new bond tend to be stronger; the shared excess of emotion serves to bond them together more closely. Seasons can also bring a renewal of dominance behaviours if the question is not yet quite fully settled.

Please take the time to read these links here; they should answer your questions and you will also find them hopefully very interesting:
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Both guides are part of our much wider new owners collection, which offers practical help and information on all the areas we get the most questions and concerns about; from settling in and a spot of guinea pig whispering to care and learning what is normal and not: Getting Started - New Owners' Most Helpful Guides

Back