• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Lap Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lexipiggie

Junior Guinea Pig
We have had our 2 female piggies for around 3 months now and it has become apparent that one of our guinea pigs (Okie) enjoys lap time, happily eating and once fell asleep on me.
However, our other piggie (Cocoa) does not enjoy it and after a minute or so scrambles around and pleads to be put back in the cage. I obviously put her back as I wouldn't wish to cause her discomfort but is it normal for one piggie to enjoy lap time and the other piggie to hate it.
I assumed it was just because she was restless/ skittish or nervous or that she just didn't like it.

I was wondering whether this is normal.

Additional info: We give them floor time at least 1x a week. Their cage is a 2x4 c&c cage and they are about 4 and a half months old.

Wiebke

Staff member
We have had our 2 female piggies for around 3 months now and it has become apparent that one of our guinea pigs (Okie) enjoys lap time, happily eating and once fell asleep on me.
However, our other piggie (Cocoa) does not enjoy it and after a minute or so scrambles around and pleads to be put back in the cage. I obviously put her back as I wouldn't wish to cause her discomfort but is it normal for one piggie to enjoy lap time and the other piggie to hate it.
I assumed it was just because she was restless/ skittish or nervous or that she just didn't like it.

I was wondering whether this is normal.

Additional info: We give them floor time at least 1x a week. Their cage is a 2x4 c&c cage and they are about 4 and a half months old.
Hi and welcome!

Guinea pigs are prey animals, they are not naturally born animated soft toys. When you give them free choice, you will find that the majority are actually happier without being cuddled.

This doesn't mean that you need not have any interaction with them, but that you may want to create other ways of interacting that are less human-centric and more based on mutual contributions like during roaming time and doing things the piggy way and not the human way. As a result you may eventually find that even non-cuddlers trust you implicitly and will come to you, even though they don't like being cuddled. You will also find that the challenge is is giving your piggy experience and understanding a lot more dimensions and it opens the fascinating world of complex guinea pig social interaction.

You may find these guides here helpful:
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig
How To Understand Guinea Pig Instincts And Speak Piggy Body Language
Illustrated Bonding / Dominance Behaviours And Dynamics

Kylie80

Forum Donator 2017/18
I have two sows. One of them tolerates a bit of a short cuddle and pat but the other one can't stand lap time and I only have her out for weighing, grooming and health check. I bond with them during spot cleaning ( they like to play then) and meal times when they are most likely to be more sociable and comfortable to interact.

Lexipiggie

Junior Guinea Pig
I have two sows. One of them tolerates a bit of a short cuddle and pat but the other one can't stand lap time and I only have her out for weighing, grooming and health check. I bond with them during spot cleaning ( they like to play then) and meal times when they are most likely to be more sociable and comfortable to interact.
Thank you very much

Redribbon

Adult Guinea Pig
This thread does make me feel better as I thought it was only me with pigs that aren't eager to be handled!

flowerfairy

Forum Donator 2017/18
My two are gaining in confisence. Jingle now teeth chatters very loudly when i try to pick her up and Mistletoe squeaks and squeaks. They have hides to go into for transport but really do not enjoy lap time at all. Jingle ducks away from my hand and Mistletoe remains stock still durimg strokies. They will now eat when in their bides on the sofa but are really delighted to get back home to ther nice clean cage where they inspect everything and popcorn happily.

Lexipiggie

Junior Guinea Pig
My two are gaining in confisence. Jingle now teeth chatters very loudly when i try to pick her up and Mistletoe squeaks and squeaks. They have hides to go into for transport but really do not enjoy lap time at all. Jingle ducks away from my hand and Mistletoe remains stock still durimg strokies. They will now eat when in their bides on the sofa but are really delighted to get back home to ther nice clean cage where they inspect everything and popcorn happily.
Yes our two popcorn as soon as they get back into their cage after floor time

Alycat

Junior Guinea Pig
My two are the same - they are both pretty wary of being picked up but one will settle down and have a cuddle whereas the other wants to go back. I think it's just personality.
Are your two generally getting more relaxed? Mine now come out whilst I'm cleaning and will come for food, so I figure that means they are happy.

Dorothy&Coco

Forum Donator 2016/17
Our girls are 11 months old and one has always been a lap piggy. She loves nothing more than snuggling down and being petted. Her sister, Coco has always been harder to catch and not as keen on lap time although in the last two months she is becoming more relaxed. It definitely takes a long time and patience to build up the trust. And they all have different personalities that come into play.

Lexipiggie

Junior Guinea Pig
My two are the same - they are both pretty wary of being picked up but one will settle down and have a cuddle whereas the other wants to go back. I think it's just personality.
Are your two generally getting more relaxed? Mine now come out whilst I'm cleaning and will come for food, so I figure that means they are happy.
Yes, mine understand that we are the ' food givers' so if you go near the cage they come out of their hides and wheek their little heads off

Status
Not open for further replies.