• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Lazy Piggies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kitkat1

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So I have had my pigs for about 4 months. I've been watching guinea pig videos on youtube and I noticed that my pigs aren't as active as other people's. They will sometimes walk around but they mostly just lay down and eat. Is this normal behavior? I usually take them out once a day to get some exercise, but I want to make sure that that isn't the only time they are active. I just don't want them to get overweight.

My pigs have all been varying degrees of lazy too. They have active periods- mine are up and busy in the mornings (hay time) and in the evenings (snack time.) I work from time, so have had ample time to observe that late morning and all afternoon seems to be lay down and snooze time, punctuated by occasional trips to the food bowl/water bottle. I also have found that activity declines with age- whereas my young pigs were pretty active (even Hadley, who is about 15 months will still run laps around the floor in the evening), my pigs over the age of 2 or 3 just didn't seem to see the point of running for the sake of running. They would run for food... then slowly wander back when it was gone.

The older they get the slower they seem to be,
So true! Right now Sundae is 5.5 years old and Hadley is 1 and Hadley will still try to entice Sundae to run around with her, but Sundae is having none of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back