• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Limping guinea pig

Yaswinn

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello, i really need help.
I have a female guinea pig, which is almost 7 year old. Two days ago, she started walking in a rather funny way. It looks like her leg is swollen and she holds it in the air all the time. She's eating and drinking, at least a bit.
The question is, is it worth taking her to a vet? I don't want her to suffer, but I'm affraid, the vet will put her down, because she's so old. And I don't want that.
Do you think there's a possibility, that she will just get some antibiotics, or something?

Hello, i really need help.
I have a female guinea pig, which is almost 7 year old. Two days ago, she started walking in a rather funny way. It looks like her leg is swollen and she holds it in the air all the time. She's eating and drinking, at least a bit.
The question is, is it worth taking her to a vet? I don't want her to suffer, but I'm affraid, the vet will put her down, because she's so old. And I don't want that.
Do you think there's a possibility, that she will just get some antibiotics, or something?

Please have her seen a by a vet tomorrow; without a vet check it is impossible to say whether it is dislocated or broken or something else. It is in any case very painful. Please do not let her suffer because of your own fears, which may not come true.

Yes a vet check is the only way forward unfortunately, she may be suffering, they’re good at hiding their pain. I understand that it’s a scary time but you must do what’s right for your piggie

Thank you very much for your advice. :)
I went to the vet today, and the piggy got an injection and some mushy pulp for pain. She looks better, already. And the vet was so nice, she even petted my guinea pig and told me what a pretty little lady I have and that her age is pretty admirable.

Back