• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Little Black scab looking thing on my Piggie's foot

CharliePig

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello, my Guinea pig has a small black scab looking thing at the top of his toenail, where it meets the foot. I have gently cleaned it, put a little Neosporin on it, and cleaned up his cage. I'm worried that it is an infection. Is there a way to clean it better or take care of it? I've heard of using Epsom salt, but I think it's supposed to be used for bumble foot. I can't tell if it is hurting him, He has a normal appetite, looks healthy, and shows no signs of pain. He isn't messing with it either.
Thanks to anyone who can help.

Please take him to see a vet. We can’t diagnose by description or photo. If it’s an infection it needs antibiotics and only the vet can make that decision and give you the prescription he needs. Good luck with the vet.

Thanks for your help. I didn't know if he was just dirty or what, but now it looks a little swollen. He doesn't seem to be in pain, but I'm still going to take him to the vet

A vet trip is advisable as piggies are good at hiding pain as they are a prey animal. If it's swollen then it's probably painful and he will need a pain killer.

Back