• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Lola Now Lives Under The Sofa...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celine298

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My little sow Lola has been called "The Pocket Rocket" from the moment we got her. She's a ball of business: super curious, very confident and crazy for exercise and playing. She get's along famously with my boar Sunny, despite him being a grumpy bum sometimes.

They live in a 6X2 C&C cage. It has two hidies, two 'day beds', two dishes and some toys. I also have it divided into an upstairs and downstairs. As one part is floor level, I leave the door open for Lola to run around as she pleases while I'm home. Sunny is afraid of our wooden floors and will only come out if I put down blankets for him *rolls eyes* :lol:

Despite what I think is an okay set up, Lola is spending more and more time alone, under the sofa. Her personality hasn't changed, she's not fighting with Sunny and she's perfectly healthy.

Could this behavior mean she's not happy? Or is she just being an oddball?

Piggies like to be in places that make them feel secure. Under a sofa is like a huge hidey to them!

Often piggies unless they are used to free ranging get a little freaked out with huge open spaces, they like to feel secure. Ours love being in a big run but hate been put on the floor and will run over and stand by the cage to go back in....

Ditto to sport_billy. @Celine298 , once they've discovered the sofa which is the biggest hidey of all, they love it!

They love to poop under there too. One of my boys loves floor time, but he's just discovered that going behind the door curtain is snug and dark, and perfect for pooping.

Agreed, she's found a place that she really likes, but that doesn't mean she doesn't like her cage or Sunny. Some piggies, whilst glad to have another piggy around, don't feel the need to always be with them. Mine have a five level cage which extends into a run but is obviously not as large a space as your free-range set-up :) Even so the four of them (they all get on great, almost all of the time), will sometimes be with each other, and at other times can be found away from each other, sometimes even all on separate levels. Sometimes one will stay out and sleep in the run whilst the others poddle back to the cage for a rest. It really depends on what ever the feel like. Mine have found favourite places too :)

Phew!

I was just a little worried she didn't like the cage at all! I don't want to lock her in when she loves her freedom, but it does get a little annoying having to shoo her out from under there every night so I can clean up her millions of poos. I also worry about Sunny missing her, he loves her to bits.

She had a little cut on her head a while ago and he was forever licking it and minding her, giving her lots of cuddles after I put ointment on it etc.

I was also wondering if this change was because she's now an adult sow (her hormones fully kicked in around January) and she needs more "girl time"?

One time, Hammy got stuck under my sister's Queen sized bed, and it was like an even bigger hidey!
She wouldn't come out, and would run around when we tried to grab her. We even tried food!
It took us a good 45 minutes. :)):)):)):)):)):)):)):)):)):)):)):))

One of mine escaped during floortime and got under the sofa. And then when I looked under with a torch, I saw him climbing into the sofa as it is hollow underneath :doh: Little turd wouldn't come out for ages - had to leave a food trail to lure him out :lol!:

One of mine escaped during floortime and got under the sofa....

This exact same thing happened with a hamster I had! Crawled into a hole under the sofa! We ended up having to cut the bottom of the sofa to get him out!

Another time he got stuck behind the bathroom sink and I had to poke him out with a toothbrush...

This exact same thing happened with a hamster I had! Crawled into a hole under the sofa! We ended up having to cut the bottom of the sofa to get him out!

Another time he got stuck behind the bathroom sink and I had to poke him out with a toothbrush...
I had a rat that did the same thing! I lost him completely once, spent hours searching my flat. I eventually gave up looking (leaving food/water dotted about the place), went to the bedroom, pulled back the duvet and there he was, snoozing by my pillow the little sh...... Love them! x

I've just come downstairs from having a shower, turned on the light in the dining room and there she was, like a discarded sock, in the middle of the floor... no doubt heading for the sofa!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back