• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Long Haired Guinea Pig Pampering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChloeCee98

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Recently adopted a long haired guinea pig! With really crazy hair lol she seems fine with it and her previous owner said she did trim her bum hair once every month or so. Although today I was cleaning out the piggys cage and she stumbled into her platform inside the cage...her hair is a little bit in her eyes. Could her hair have caused this or did I just startle her a bit to much (while cleaning my other piggys cage)? Also are baths needed? I have noticed she is a lot smellier than my other piggy and the hair does drag the dirty wood chippings accross the cage. Any ways of keeping on top of this would be appreciated! I don't want her to hurt herself or not be able to see as I know there eye sight isn't the best anyway. Would my other guineapig enjoy baths? I have read a few threads and have a friend who baths her piggy!

IMG_3728.JPG

Hi! You piggy is gorgeous!

I don't have long haired piggies so can't comment from experience, but I've known people with them who trim them up pretty regularly, especially the bottom and face with grooming daily :)

As for bathing, I believe it's best not to do it at all if they don't need it. If they're particularly dirty (or have hay lice which I've had to do) then you may have to.

You'd want to use a very natural shampoo (I recommend gorgeous guineas (a lady called Chrissy from the UK who makes fantastic and natural shampoos, really gentle stuff) and do it as little as you can :)

Bathing is fairly stressful for piggies and they do actually clean themselves. With longer haired piggies I believe they may need a little more help if their hair is kept long.

Only a few times a year is recommended I believe for the average piggy, less for certain breeds :)

I think she could do with a good haircut TBH! Just because she's new too me I'm a bit reluctant to do it I don't want to scare her. Especially when it's near her face, don't want any accidents happening. I'll see how she's like in a week then I might have to trim the hair round her face and bum. Instead of bathing could I just get a damp cloth and wash her bum? Don't think she would mind either TBH she's very cuddly.

I don't blame you! Have you got the scissors with the rounded edges? They're safer for doing sensitive areas :) I think baby scissors are similar.

You could do, I think you can get some pet wipes too that might help cleanse her bottom, I'd have a careful look at ingredients in wipes first but there are some good ones. I wouldn't get anything Johnssons as that stuff is evil lol.

Sugar and Spice piggies on youtube does really good videos about long haired guinea pig care. Also Squeakdreams. I love watching guinea pig youtube vids!

IMG_3759.JPG In the middle of introducing them now! It's so intense lol there's lots of squeaking and humping and chasing I hope they like each other. They keeping having moments away to chill out and squeak at each other. When will I know they're okay with each other ?

image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back