• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Looking For A Hutch

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2022/23
Reaction score
I'm prepping to get myself (and the children) some guinea pigs and have been hunting around for hutches. I've yet to know what sex I'll be getting but it'll be two pigs. It seems those from pet shops aren't recommended but where do I go to find a reputable breeder or rescue place?

Back to hutches, I liked this lazy bones hutch. Would this be a suitable size, and is it best to get a one level hutch and buy a run separately? And would this size be suitable for two boars (though advise seems to go up a size if for boars)? I also saw this one. I'm feeling overwhelmed and don't want to buy incorrectly.. Where do people recommend I buy a hutch online? I've seen ebay and amazon recommended.....

TIA from this newbie!

If you could add your location to your profile that would help us give you more accurate information and answers :)

But in response to your question as well as on specific sites like Amazon etc. (If you live in the UK) sites like Gumtree offer hutches or big indoor cages for a lower price then those on the Internet - though obviously these usually require a new lick of paint, TLC and a thorough clean. Yet you'd be surprised at some- there's been many times where a really good option has popped up. And aswell as getting a big hutch you'd be saving money that could go towards vet bills etc.

If you could add your location to your profile that would help us give you more accurate information and answers :)

But in response to your question as well as on specific sites like Amazon etc. (If you live in the UK) sites like Gumtree offer hutches or big indoor cages for a lower price then those on the Internet - though obviously these usually require a new lick of paint, TLC and a thorough clean. Yet you'd be surprised at some- there's been many times where a really good option has popped up. And aswell as getting a big hutch you'd be saving money that could go towards vet bills etc.
Thank you. I've looked on gumtree but not seen anything 'decent' nearby.

I would buy from these guys. Top quality products

https://boylespethousing.co.uk
Thanks, I'll take a look later on.

if you can i would get a 5 feet hutch and above with a seperate run.i have the chartwell six feet hutch and i love it.as covers can be obtained.i put my hutches in the shed in the autumn and winter,i ordered from the company you linked,to " this one."

I was leaning towards the chartwell hutch (5 foot) but after reading some mixed views I'm now unsure. I was browsing home and roost and came across this. I don't know if this would be a decent option. I've also found another. There's also the great and small jumbo hutch from pets corner. Though I don't know how secure the latch closure it, and the inside was a little rough when I saw one in person. I'm looking for hutches I can buy covers for. HELP please, this is a minefield!

I've got this which is bigger than it looks ( and it looks pretty big ) which I've got 3 piggies in . It's shallower than most hutches but for piggies that's not a problem it would just be bad for rabbits. Its got removable draws for the entire hutch and you can buy a rain cover with zip up hatches.
The only problem I have with this is it's a little difficult to reach right to the back on the bottom levels due to how shallow it is.
I would suggest buying a large hutch that is entirely off the ground as (I assume you live in the uk) the weather is rarely suitable for them to be on the ground all day where it's cold and damp . Much better to buy a seperate run that can be put out in nice weather in my opinion.
Hope this helps
Edit: also I prefer that last one you mentioned and piggies much prefer having no ramps but it get your other points about it - maybe worth finding another in that style.
Also the google shopping tab is really helpful for this kind of thing if you're not entirely sure about what you want

Thanks @PiggieNinja with that last pone i vould possibly line the sides and add bolts. I'll see.

PS @PiggieNinja I really like the look of the one you have. Do your pigs use the ramp? And how sturdy would you say it is? Did you line it at all? Sorry for the questions!

yes my piggies use the ramp (some easier than others) but it did take them some getting used to . the ramp does have rungs on it but we also added a grippy material in between the rungs which really helped - its kinda like sandpaper but less harsh. ( the ramp can be taken out if you want)
i would rate it 3/5 for sturdyness but i think that's mainly because i kind of neglected it in the winter when the pigs came inside. i would suggest using a staple gun (or your preferred method) to attach a waterproof sheet over the top as its not covered by the commercial cover (seeing as the lid has to open) and ours has started to crack a little due to the water it absorbed but it hasn't got any worse now we've put a tarp over it. the bolts are ok, a little cheap, but easily changed if your not too keen- they've never caused me problems especially when under the cover.
on the good side the trays are always easy to pull out and put back in and my piggies are protected from all the elements. the cover allows for a lot of ventilation on a sunny day and keeps them toasty at night. i find it really helpful how the roof opens and there is a hatch to separate the levels when i cleaning (although when willow is feeling extremely mischievous she pushes it open from the bottom to investigate what I'm doing haha) plus i think its a really good deal for the money and could buy two of this for the price of one of a similar quality.
oh and i've had it for a year and a half now
i would recommend this if you are on a budget, but if youve just won the lottery or are willing to give up house and home for your piggies (haha) i would strongly recommend boyles pet housing because their hutches are AMAZING !
hope this helps.

Thank you @PiggieNinja that does help. I'll be able to have them inside till I get a hutch so I'm pleased. I (we'll) be collecting them tomorrow afternoon. The kids don't know and the cage and other bits will be sneaked into the house once they're in bed Just have to find a good spot to hide them

Back