• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Loss of a pig

Kaila

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have had to make the decision to put my 5 year old boar to sleep this evening. He was suffering with kidney disease and had deteriorated very quickly in a matter of hours. I am heartbroken.
I know I need to bring him home and give his brother the chance to say his goodbyes.
I also know I will need to find the remaining guinea a companion.
I am looking for advice on:
How long do I wait before adopting another guinea as I don’t with him getting lonely depressed or sick due to it,
Would it be better to get a neutered/spayed adult or an intact male baby.
Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.

I’m so sorry for your loss. You did something hard for you but the best thing for her 💕
In terms of a companion, your piggy will likely be ready before you are. So go by how he is. The only thing to guarantee a good match is companionship rather than age. If you get a boar, being neutered won’t make a difference if they’re not character compatible.

If there is a rescue nearby, then the best thing would be to see if they would do boar dating so he can choose his own friend. Spayed sows are a pretty rare find, so I think perhaps don’t consider that as a top priority.

Good luck.

So sorry for your loss, chicken. 💕 That is the most difficult, but kindest decision we have to make with these beauties in our lives. Just remember, although they are only with us for a part of our lives - we are their whole lives. And he loved you his whole life. Be kind to yourself, sweetie. Sweet dreams, little man. 🌈

So sorry you lost your little piggie x
We have recently lost one of our 5 year old boar pair too, we decided to get Ted neutered. As long as you have an experienced piggie vet who does plenty of neutering and your boy is in good health the risks should be acceptable.

So sorry for your loss - it’s a tough decision you had to make but one made out of love.

Be gentle with yourself as you grieve.

As for companionship I can only echo what has been said already

I'm so sorry your boar has passed over the rainbow bridge 😢. My beautiful Milly made that same journey on Monday. The grief just appears and washes over me completely. I can sometimes look at pictures and videos of her and smile with love, other times the same pictures make me cry for my loss.

I am in the same situation as you regarding finding a friend for the piggy we have left, in my case Milly's sister, Molly who is about 4 and a half, I believe. She is an outdoor girl, so it's even more important she is not alone. She's still eating and drinking fine, but she was always the shier one, and I worry if she really is ok. I'm looking into adopting one from the RSPCA in Walsall, maybe a female or two or a neutered boat. We don't have any local rescue centres. It won't ever replace my Milly, but the feeling that I could give a neglected/unwanted piggy a loving home for the rest of their life gives me a warm feeling and as Milly herself was an adoptee I think she'd approve.

I hope all goes well in your search and take care of yourself x

Thank you all for your kind words at this time. It really is the hardest decision I’ve ever had to make. As for a companion for my piggie I have opted for adopting a 5 month old boar who was put up for adoption as he was being bullied by the rest of the herd. He is a tiny timid quiet little chap and I’m hoping that my eldest piggie will welcome him. They are currently side by side in separate cages while he gets used to being in a new environment as I don’t want to stress him out too much and he needs to be quarantined just to be sure. I’m keeping everything crossed that they will hit it off. Thank you again for all of your kind words 💕

Hi everyone. Just an update on the boys. Unfortunately my adopted baby piggie mango doesn’t seem to be a match for my elder mouglie. Have attempted to bond a few times and things have escalated each time. They are currently living in a c and c cage with a separator in between them. Any advice on what to do next from your own experiences would be great! Taking it day by day! Thank you all x

Thank you all for your kind words at this time. It really is the hardest decision I’ve ever had to make. As for a companion for my piggie I have opted for adopting a 5 month old boar who was put up for adoption as he was being bullied by the rest of the herd. He is a tiny timid quiet little chap and I’m hoping that my eldest piggie will welcome him. They are currently side by side in separate cages while he gets used to being in a new environment as I don’t want to stress him out too much and he needs to be quarantined just to be sure. I’m keeping everything crossed that they will hit it off. Thank you again for all of your kind words 💕
I lost my piggy Coconut Friday as he was pts. The feelings of guilt and the what ifs are overwhelming and I am devastated so I know how your feeling. I am so sorry x

I lost my piggy Coconut Friday as he was pts. The feelings of guilt and the what ifs are overwhelming and I am devastated so I know how your feeling. I am so sorry x
That is true. It’s a horrible feeling. But you must know that you did all you could. That’s what helps me is knowing that I did everything I could for him every day. Sending you my love x

Back