• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

CharlieAndLolaPiggies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have a white guinea pig named Charlie, along with another one which is black, white and brown named Lola.

I got them around October/September last year (2019) and have been loving them!.

Recently though (today - 9/04/2020) I lost my guinea pig Charlie. I put her and her sister in a cage, although my dad recently moved it on a slant/slope, so Charlie was able to dig a hole and make an escape for it.

I live in Australia, so I'm very worried if Charlie has been bitten by a snake, even though it's turning into winter here, snake eggs are hatching because of very weird weather.
I also have a Jack Russel, which are bred to hunt. And a cat, who also likes to hunt. And I'm so frightened.

I'm so worried about her, I've read to set up traps, so that is what I'm going to do. I'm also worried that she may not come to my calls (calling her name), since I don't know if she's fully tamed or not, due to the fact I've never had guinea pigs. By the way, the cage was secure and on flat ground until my dad moved it! 😭

The cage is also set around long grass, so it will be harder to find her as well. I feel SO BAD!!!

Do you guys have any advice I could use please in search of Charlie? Please pray that I find her as well!

Should I try to use my dogs to find her? Or try to set traps and use Lola (Charlies sister) to try to find her?

PLEASE HELP ME!

Thank you! Any tips would be greatly appreciated! 😭😥😥😥😥😥

put a selection of carriers, boxes, hides around to give her somewhere safe to come back to. possibly fill them with hay, veggies and treats. I've seen on another thread that people have had some luck by playing recordings of happy guinea pig sounds to encourage them to come back but I have no experience of using this trick myself.

Playing a guinea pig wheeking sound through YouTube in loud speaker is a good way to tell them there is another guinea pig out there to join up with. It has worked before for other lost guinea pigs on here.

Type in happy guinea pig on youtube and play it as loud as possible

My friend recently had a pet hedgehog escape and she looked for hours and hours to no avail but within minutes her dog found it for her, although her dog is very friendly with her small pets. If you used the dog I would certainly put him on a leash if you are unsure of how he will be with the piggy. You would have to be careful the dog didn't make too much noise or chase it too. In saying this, it could also hinder things and frighten the pig but try the carrier and hidy first and if that doesn't work, maybe its worth a try?

My friend recently had a pet hedgehog escape and she looked for hours and hours to no avail but within minutes her dog found it for her, although her dog is very friendly with her small pets. If you used the dog I would certainly put him on a leash if you are unsure of how he will be with the piggy. You would have to be careful the dog didn't make too much noise or chase it too. In saying this, it could also hinder things and frighten the pig but try the carrier and hidy first and if that doesn't work, maybe its worth a try?
Sorry but asking a Jack Russel to hunt for the piggie is crazy in my view.
The idea is filled with danger. .
Stress. . . driving the piggie away etc.
Let's say I'm wrong and dog finds it and gets reward . .. licence to attack other piggies.

my guinea pig made a break for it yesterday and was missing overnight but we found her this morning. what worked for me is leaving a cardboard box she likes with hay and pellets in it by the hole in the fence she escaped through and calling her every so often until she came back through the fence. if you haven’t already ask your neighbours to keep an eye out. my thoughts are with you as i know how upsetting and stressful it is xx

I would also try to put up signs around your neighborhood (if you live in a developed area) in case someone else happens to see him.

I’m also a little confused to how your cage is set up—is it open bottomed? If so I would definitely look into creating a bottom both to keep in the temp and discourage predators like snakes that could wiggle under.

Hello everyone. I have a white guinea pig named Charlie, along with another one which is black, white and brown named Lola.

I got them around October/September last year (2019) and have been loving them!.

Recently though (today - 9/04/2020) I lost my guinea pig Charlie. I put her and her sister in a cage, although my dad recently moved it on a slant/slope, so Charlie was able to dig a hole and make an escape for it.

I live in Australia, so I'm very worried if Charlie has been bitten by a snake, even though it's turning into winter here, snake eggs are hatching because of very weird weather.
I also have a Jack Russel, which are bred to hunt. And a cat, who also likes to hunt. And I'm so frightened.

I'm so worried about her, I've read to set up traps, so that is what I'm going to do. I'm also worried that she may not come to my calls (calling her name), since I don't know if she's fully tamed or not, due to the fact I've never had guinea pigs. By the way, the cage was secure and on flat ground until my dad moved it! 😭

The cage is also set around long grass, so it will be harder to find her as well. I feel SO BAD!

Do you guys have any advice I could use please in search of Charlie? Please pray that I find her as well!

Should I try to use my dogs to find her? Or try to set traps and use Lola (Charlies sister) to try to find her?

PLEASE HELP ME!

Thank you! Any tips would be greatly appreciated! 😭😥😥😥😥😥
How is it going , any luck finding her?

I would also try to put up signs around your neighborhood (if you live in a developed area) in case someone else happens to see him.

I’m also a little confused to how your cage is set up—is it open bottomed? If so I would definitely look into creating a bottom both to keep in the temp and discourage predators like snakes that could wiggle under.
Maybe it’s one of those with a run underneath.

I hope she turns up soon of her own accord. Sorry for the stress and worry. 🤞🏾

Hello everyone, still no luck today. I've only checked the responses now (7 pm currently), and I will try the box idea tomorrow. Thank you all for the tips, I really pray that she's safe and that she finds her way back or I find her. We have a crop growing (millet) right next to the cage, I think she was tempted by the smell so she dug a hole, even though I feed them every day, and they graze on grass. The big problem is, if she were to wander through the crops, snakes also hide in there. Very upsetting at the moment. 😭😥 I tried to get my dog to smell and sniff her out, although my dog did not find anything, also if my dog were to find Charlie, I think it would be dangerous, even with a leash attached. I'm also going to try the guinea pig noises. I tried the food, came back after 2 hours of placing it, and none of it was eaten. I'm very scared if she can't find her way back! Thank you all again, this is very stressful! 😥😭

I wasn't even aware that guinea pigs COULD dig! I've had them for over 25 years and none of mine have ever dug or even attempted to dig.

Hope piggy comes home again soon though.

Many many years ago(45+) I had a guinea pig who wandered off. There weren't any predators about like where you live but I suppose a cat or two may have been around. One time, a neighbour returned her about 10 houses away.(I didn't even know she had disappeared). Another time, she toddled her way back to the garden. She had a lot of freedom. Too many pets about nowadays to allow such a thing. Anyway, the fact that she came back on her own accord means that you shouldn't give up hope. Note she died of old age.

Many many years ago(45+) I had a guinea pig who wandered off. There weren't any predators about like where you live but I suppose a cat or two may have been around. One time, a neighbour returned her about 10 houses away.(I didn't even know she had disappeared). Another time, she toddled her way back to the garden. She had a lot of freedom. Too many pets about nowadays to allow such a thing. Anyway, the fact that she came back on her own accord means that you shouldn't give up hope. Note she died of old age.
I used to loose my rabbit and my guinea pig out in our back garden about 20 years ago. Just block the gap under the side gate and they'd go wherever they liked. I'd never do that now. Too many neighbours have cats that go anywhere they like and we have sparrowhawks that could swoop down in an instant. Mine stay safely in their hutch or in their run which has a roof. How times change...

Your girl sounded like she was quite a traveller 😀

Thank you, trying not to give up, but it's very hard! 😥

I've put a few carriers and boxes surrounding the area of where the cage is. I've filled them with hay and food + water. Hopefully she comes! I'm also going to get a speaker and play guinea pig noises! Still praying for her safe return! 😥👍

Back