• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Lump: Potential Ovarian Cyst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millie's mum

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Vet came to see my Millie (who only turned 2) last monday after I noticed she had been loosing weight and was lethargic. He said she most likely has an ovarian cyst (which can be felt)... but unable to tell exatly what it is unless he opens her up (no ultrasounds or blood tests available in Malta). I've been feeding her with a syringe as she refuses to eat and drink. He has given her painkillers and a vitamin cocktail and ordered me to keep force feeding her, giving her vit C water, keep her as warm as possible (as she is loosing body heat very quickly) and giving her painkillers. He said we need to stabilise her before doing anything else such as considering surgery (which he says is still risky and guinea pigs do not react well to aneasthesia). Has anyone been through this? I'm so worried she is going to die. Is there anything else I can do?

I'm so sorry to hear Millie is poorly. And also that there are limited vet resources in Malta.
Both my older ladies were spayed earlier in the year. Both came through the surgery ok but both were well beforehand. In the UK the anaesthetics for rabbits and piggies have improved massively in the past few years, but it is still a risk for any pet to undergo an anaesthetic and surgery.
Only you can decide if you want to put your girl through the surgery especially as it is uncertain what the problem may be. It's a tough decision for you. Whatever decision you take you have our support here.

I'm sorry she is so poorly. Has he given you enough pain killers for each day or was it a one off injection. Some ovarian cysts can be seen on an ultasound, not sure if your vet would be able to do that? Also they also can respond well to hormone injections, in the UK the one we use is called Chorulon. I think the key at the moment is keeping her pain free and her guts going as you are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back