• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Making A C&c Cage For The First Time

EmJay1984

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all.
I'm in the process of making a c&c cage for my 2 girls.
I was really hoping to make it 4 grids by 3 grids.
Hubby says that if I make it 3 grids wide then the correx sheet will only give me a 2 inch wall, rather than the 6 inches most people seem to be using.
I can imagine they will make a mess if the wall is only 2 inches high so I suggested that maybe we could join 2 correx sheets together, to make the sheet wider but hubby thinks it would allow urine etc to leak out.
I can't seem to find any correx bigger than the standard 8ft x 4ft sheets so I really don't know what to do now....
Has anyone joined 2 correx sheets together without it leaking?
Or should I just re-think my cage size/design?
Any advice would be gratefully received.
Kind regards

what sort of bedding will you be using? If you are going to use fleece, you won't necessarily need such a high correx " wall"

I joined my corex with what I think is called gaffer tape? It's 2 inch wide, silver and very sticky. I've not had any leaks, I do use puppy pads on top of the corex though. I overlaid the 2 bits of corex by 6 inches, which if at any time you decide to have a 2 grid wide cage gives you the 6 inch wall on the otherside using the main piece of corex. Hope this makes sense!

Reactions: Tim
Piggyowner - I've got a huge bale of shavings to use up so would be using those for a while. I love the look and idea of fleece liners but worry about washing them.

maybe gaffer tape then ? - as Piggieminder has suggested

I use vet bed now. When I used to use shavings I had a layer of newspaper over the pads. If you use newspaper remove any staples in case they eat the paper.

I have two sheets joined together as I have an L shaped cage and I use duck tape, works really well. I have to replace it every now and again as bedding dust and bits get under it and stop it sticking quite so well.

The bits on the ‘walls’ are harder as pigs (or mine at least) seem to like the taste of tape glue! I always make sure a house is in front of the tape join so they can’t get to it!

I also use duct tape.
We can't get correx in Switzerland so the base of my cage is from old pieces all taped together - it's not pretty but it works, and the tape has never leaked or caused any problems.
In fact last week I took the correx apart, scrubbed it all down, and stuck it back together. After 2 years of use it needed a bit of a freshen up!

I have joined two sheets tegether before by doing a butt joint and using two layers of tape on the outside. It was very thick black workzone tape from Aldi. It has never leaked and is the same colour as the correx so it’s hard to spot ;)

Thank you all for your replies. I ended up sticking 2 correx sheets together with gorilla tape and it's been fine so far.
the naughty girls have been demolishing the correx edges though. next time I replace the correx I'll have to use the binders I think, lol.
I ended up making the c&c cage 4 squares long by 3 squares wide but I'm struggling to reach across that wide to pick them up 🙄

Back