• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Male Guinea Pig Got Bitten By Another

Rinn

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Max, the oldest guinea pig and Coffee,his son live in separate topless c&c cages next to each other. I separated them because they started fighting after Coffee grew up. Yesterday, Coffee climbed the grids into Max's cage and they got into a fight and there were three bite wounds on Max. I checked Coffee's body many times while combing his hair the opposite direction,but there were no wounds. I immediately brought Max to the vet yesterday.
They shaved his hair around the wounds and gave me a healing ointment to apply twice a day on the wounds, it's called Hypermix Vet . I'm currently keeping him in a small closed cage and it's lined with a puppy pad and fleece. I spot clean it 4 times a day and change the fleece everyday and wipe the cage with diluted vinegar once a day. Is this appropriate to keep his environment clean? I'm afraid he'll move too much if I put him in a bigger cage, and I'm afraid that his wounds will be affected. Should I put him in a bigger cage? Is there anything else I can do to make him feel better? He is eating fine and drinking fine too. His wounds are a little inflammed, but still seems okay.
I can show pictures of his wounds and his current cage,if needed. They're on the lower part of his back.

It sounds like your keeping the environment nice and clean. I wouldn't keep him too confined tho, moving around shouldn't affect his wounds.

i think that would be best, so long as Coffee can't climb out of his and then into Max's. Can you put a lid on Coffee?

I don't see why they would, if they did not need stitches I am thinking they can not be too deep and I think Max would be happier with more space.

I don't see why they would, if they did not need stitches I am thinking they can not be too deep and I think Max would be happier with more space.
Okay thanks a lot. Also,he keeps pulling his hair around the wound, it seems like he's grooming it? Do they do this and is it okay?

Back