• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Max Will Be Neutered Next Month

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, there are some great threads on here about neutering, unfortunately I do not know how to link them into this thread for you so I tag someone with more knowledge than me :) @Wiebke @Critter

Can anyone share with me what to expect and how to take care of him after neutering and he comes home?

Here is our post-op care guide (from the top of our Caring for an Ill Guinea Pig Section, which is always worth a visit: Tips For Post-operative Care

Ideally, your boy should come home as if nothing ontowards has happened. Day 2-3 are usually the ones when there is a bit of very minor discomfort until the body gets seriously into healing, but it should not translate to loss of weight, and from then on in, you shouldn't basically notice that he's had an operation.

If things don't go to plan, please be aware that loss of appetite is the most common side effect after an operation; this happens often on the day after the op. Be prepared for round the clock syringe feeding from as soon as it happens - your good care can often make all the difference in the outcome. You can find further links for that in our post-op guide.

Also be prepared to look out for swellings of any sort in the groin area; abscesses are the most common complication (and they can happen as late as several months post-op), but hematomas and hernias are not quite uncommon. The vast majority of neutering ops thankfully goes without a hitch. I would strongly recommend to check the groin area daily for the first 2-3 weeks, then every second day for the first month and after that once or twice weekly.
If you are confronted with an abscess, please ask your vet for a stronger antibiotic than baytril if he is prepared to prescribe it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back