• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Member Gallery: C&C cages/homemade cages

Piglet's home. I like the look of your cages with fleece on the bottom. I have some questions below 🙂
View attachment 176372

I took this photo just before giving him his dinner and more hay and replacing the hidey he'd 'eaten'. I've never heard of using a fleece until the last couple of weeks - back in the 70s we just put newspaper on the bottom and thick bed of hay. Things have really changed since I last had piggies. So my questions are:
  1. Does it need to be a particular kind of fleece or will any be ok?
  2. Don't they get their claws stuck in it?
  3. How many days does it last before needing to be changed?
  4. Does it have to be fleece or will another fabric work?
Thanks folks
Hi, my piggies are outside during the day so each morning I brush off the fleece bedding and if its dry out ill hang them on the line just to air and I wash them at the weekend. I love the fleece, lot less waste but I will definitely need another set for the winter as they can take a bit of drying.

20210620_131423.jpg

This is my temporary cage for our two new baby boars who came home yesterday (too shy to be out in the pictures just yet). They have an outside hutch and also a Kavee 5x2 being put together in a spare room but this one is to just get them settled in and used to having humans around, so it's a temporary lounge fixture.

It's made from c+c cage panels from Songmics on Amazon, size is 4 panels by 2, and a bit of tie wrap work was needed to strengthen some joins. It has a lid made of the same panels for when the cat is in the room. It's also raised up off the floor by being on storage boxes.

At the moment the bedding is a bit frankenstein, with a mix of old towels, pee pads and a waterproof mattress sheet underneath. Bit of a pain to brush the towels, but fleece liners (and correx) are on the way for the proper cage.

here is our recently built c&c cage, we brought the grids from b&q, the correx came from a firm in leicester. We got the wood around the top of the cage, already on a roll from a garden centre, we also attached this to some wood for the ramp.A hanging basket, tilted on its side, filled with either hay or the dried herb mixtures has proved popular with them, and we put in a swing, which we put their fresh food on, they like this also.the cage houses 3 pigs, and is two squares wide, and six long. We also stuff old toilet rolls with hay, which they push around the hutch.We are very pleased with it, and our boy piggies seem to love it!

P8290086.jpg

P8290056.jpg

P8290057.jpg

IMAG0488.jpg
Hi there ! may i ask where did u get that ramp from ? is it easy for your piggies to use ?

hi ,the original photo seems to be from 2011.it looks like they are small/medium fiddlestix/lounging logs fittedtogether as a ramp.you could use correx,folded grids,some c & c cage companies have readymade ramps you can purchase.

Hi! This is the cage that my two girls and neutered male are currently living in. It is a 2x6 C&C cage, purchased from Guinea Pigs Australia.

It was originally a 2x4 C&C cage with a 2x2 loft (this was before I got Oscar), but I took the loft down and added it to the end of the cage due to my girl Violet (7 years, 8 months) having increasing health and mobility problems, and to give them more space, as the loft doesn't really count towards floor space.

The bedding is GuineaDad fleece liners (a 2x4 liner and a 2x2 liner). It is fairly easy to clean. I do spot cleaning twice a day with a dust pan and wash the fleece every week, which works for me and keeps the smell down.

Here's a photo (it was taken a couple days after adopting Oscar, which is why there are only hides with two exits/entrances - I usually have 1-2 tunnels and 2-3 houses/beds, along with the pocket in the fleece liner):
Guinea pig cage.jpg

So a week in and we've moved the boys' indoor cage to a better location, received our Kavee fleeces (which are lovely, so towels begone back to the laundry cupboard), added a correx liner, and I've used more c+c panels to build the cage up a level and add proper storage underneath. 24 panels in all. We're pleased with the improved version but I do feel an extension to 5x2 coming on.
20210625_172520.jpg

20210625_172547.jpg

IMG_20210706_212941.jpgIMG_20210706_213050.jpg
Got really fed up cleaning Joe and Bobs commercial treecage in the beginning of the summer. Bought a 6x2 C&C om Etsy and made it a 5x2 two-tier cage. Chip and Pikachu already had a 4x2. I dont really recommend build a 2x5 two-tier, it was some work to get it stable... But when that was done, I could enjoy cleaning it. Still does. And the amount of space we spare while our pigs has a big, nice cage!
We had to switch floors on the boys. Bob was a bit to hefty to zoom around and jump on the top. It sounded like an elefant march was coming through!

IMG_20210721_163334.jpg
The most important, açcording to Bob, is that he can have a big box with hay to play and pee in. And he eats with big passion, as you can see!

Mine were in a stacked 2x5 when inside. It was pretty secure (lots of cable ties and some wood to support the upper level). The boys lived upstairs. I did worry when they (on a rare occasion) ran around but it was fine, no shifting. Looks good and I bet they loved it!

I would add hides (can’t see if there are two) and more hay as well.

Mine were in a stacked 2x5 when inside. It was pretty secure (lots of cable ties and some wood to support the upper level). The boys lived upstairs. I did worry when they (on a rare occasion) ran around but it was fine, no shifting. Looks good and I bet they loved it!

I would add hides (can’t see if there are two) and more hay as well.
I think it just was the sound of elephantmarch that made me nervous. Bob is our big little bulldozer 😆

Each floors has at least three hideys, one hayrack and a cardboardbox with "playhay". If they dont get a cardboardbox they get another hayrack, so there's two and no needs for arguing about food.

Though I'd post an updated photo for the gallery 😊
Everyone's cages are amazing!

I have two girls, 4 year old Daisy and 5 month old Poppet, and an almost 4 year old neutered male Oscar living in a 4x5 C&C cage.

Originally, it was a 2x4 C&C (when I had my two girls Violet and Daisy). I then added a 2x2 loft, but took it down and added on to the end of the 2x4 to make a 2x6 cage. After Violet passed away, we adopted Poppet. We then purchased a 2x5 chloroplast base and taped it to the existing chloroplast to make a 4x5 due to her baby energy (and also just wanting to make it bigger for them).

In total, I have three different sheets of chloroplast all taped together (a 2x4, 2x2 and 2x5). Just goes to show you're not limited by what size cage you originally buy. In the future (if I get more piggies - I would really like a little herd of 5), I am able to make a 2x11 C&C with what I've got now 😃

I use GuineaDad fleece liners with pee pads in high traffic areas. I spot clean twice a day, and fully clean out the cage and swap out hides once a week. I use a hay rack made from spare C&C grids, and use a bath mat underneath it. They have about two hides each (but I swap out hides and change the layout each week so this can vary), two bowls, two hay filled chew toys and two water bottles, although they definitely have a favourite 😂

20210911_081141 (2).jpg

What an amazing, huge cage they have. Must help keep them cool? My cage has also been changed size several times, but the correx looks so uneven compared to yours 😊

What an amazing, huge cage they have. Must help keep them cool? My cage has also been changed size several times, but the correx looks so uneven compared to yours 😊
Thank you! I suppose it does keep them cool. There is also an air conditioner across the room so the room never gets too hot for them 😊

My husband made this from a set of drawers that we bought from FB marketplace, this was for 2 sows. After a surprise pregnancy we now have 3 sows and a boat awaiting neuter so he is making something much bigger. He makes furniture for a living so it will be along similar lines to this…94DD0C52-70C6-4444-9052-2656880179FE.jpeg

3EA31808-F714-4A4D-AB90-3C7E68EC2B9D.jpeg99F97BB7-DD0B-4DA9-9CDD-1B29564A6DE6.jpeg

My husband made this from a set of drawers that we bought from FB marketplace, this was for 2 sows. After a surprise pregnancy we now have 3 sows and a boat awaiting neuter so he is making something much bigger. He makes furniture for a living so it will be along similar lines t

My husband made this from a set of drawers that we bought from FB marketplace, this was for 2 sows. After a surprise pregnancy we now have 3 sows and a boat awaiting neuter so he is making something much bigger. He makes furniture for a living so it will be along similar lines to this…View attachment 187133

View attachment 187131View attachment 187132
I like this idea. Do they use the ramps? And is there anything behind the drawer-front at the top right, or is it just decoration?

Back