• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Missing my baby Junior

JordyW

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My sweet little Junior (Black and white Crested) passed away 2 days ago on February 13th. He was 4 1/2 years old. We don't know what happened. He was fine last week as far as we could tell, but then over the weekend he stopped eating and drinking and began to seclude himself from us and his cage mate and "brother" Bernard (Brown Silkie) who has been with since they were babies. I tried everything to help him. I gave him extra vitamin C by mouth, softened his food and mixed it with pureed veggies and critical care mix to feed him via syringe, etc. Nothing worked. It got to the point I couldn't even feed him myself because he refused to chew what I was giving him. I didn't want him to choke, so I had to stop.

His passing was slow and heartbreaking to watch. I'm trying to tell myself it wasn't painful for him, but I have no way of knowing that for sure. Realistically, there had to have been at least some painful times during the process. Even though my heart broke every time I saw him, I am thankful that I am able to work from home because it meant that I could keep him next to me, if not in my lap. I talked to him constantly so he knew he wasn't alone. I saw his brother Bernard go and check on him a lot and even groom him a few times which was so sweet because Junior was the type to always groom himself more than any other Guinea Pig I have ever seen, but as he continued to deteriorate, he didn't have the energy to do that anymore.

Now we are dealing with bereavement process. I have read, and reread the posts on here about the subject and I have found them quite helpful so thank you for that. I cry at the smallest things like not having to buy as many vegetables because I only have one piggy instead of two, or even seeing less poop in the cage when I clean it. Who would have thought that seeing less poop would make someone cry?

Telling my 9 year old son that Junior was sick was so hard. Seeing the look on his face and the tears form in his eyes immediately made my heart ache. The only thing harder than that was telling him that Junior had actually passed away. Hearing his sobs had to have been the worst thing I have heard in my life. He had never lost a pet before, so this is new territory for him, but even if it wasn't I know it would still be just as difficult. He loves Junior, and asking a 9 year old to cope with something like this is seemingly impossible when it is something that even adults have a hard time with. As a parent, I wish I could take his pain away.

Now we try and pick up the pieces and remember him while focusing on our other piggy Bernard. I am thankful Bernard is still eating and drinking normally, but he is showing signs of loneliness. He wants my attention in the form of cuddles and pets as opposed to before when he just wanted to be seen but not touched. I have been giving him extra attention for both of our sakes, and I hope it is helping him. I have also apologized to him that I couldn't save his brother. My husband says there wasn't anything more I could have done, but I will always feel like maybe there was something I missed.

Attachments

• Junior Close Up.jpg
    Junior Close Up.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Junior and Bernard.jpg
    Junior and Bernard.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 3
I’m so sorry you lost your precious Junior. Sometimes it is just a mystery and it sounds as if you did everything you could. He will have been comforted by your familiar presence. Grief comes like waves, huge crashing ones, smaller gentler ones. Take your time and try to focus on the happy memories Junior has left with you. Thinking of you all. Sleep tight little Junior 🌈❤️

Sorry for your loss. You did everything you could for Junior and he knew he was loved. Sleep tight Junior x

I am so sorry you lost Junior, you loved and cared for him and gave him a happy life :hug: Time will heal and life will get better, but while you grieve take care of each other x

Loss of a much loved pet is very hard to live through but you did your best for him and he would have known you loved him. Look after yourselves as you grieve.
RIP Junior 🌈

I'm so sorry for your loss, I'm crying as I'm reading this. 😢😢😢 I'm absolutely dreading the day this happens to one of my precious boys. 😢 😢

Big hugs to you all. ❤️

I’m so sorry Junior had the call to the rainbow bridge. It definitely sounds like you did all you could. At least he passed at home surrounded by your love.

Sending your son a hug. 🤗. Death is a hard life lesson to learn about. Take care ❤️

So sorry for your loss.
Death is hard on everyone, especially for children.
In the bereavement section there are some good resources to help children deal with loss.
Be gentle with yourselves as you grieve

Back