• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Mite Infestation Or Something Else. Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dom R

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So I went outside earlier today thinking about putting my Guineapigs in their outdoor run before I go on holiday on Friday (as they might not get chance during those 2 weeks my parents/brother is looking after them), and as always I check their upstairs area and find, that although it is fresh Sawdust in there, there's mites or some other bugs everywhere, including their eggs. I'm not sure if these are mites or whatever they are. But I don't like the fact that they're infesting the outdoor run, I found them a couple of weeks ago and washed thoroughly with the hose pipe and disinfectant to hope that would work. But with the warmer weather coming, it seems to just come back worse.

Can anyone tell me what these are, what they could do to my piggies, and what treatment to the wood and plastics I could do to prevent them from coming again, and that are harmless to my piggies?

Images Here - Sorry the bottom one is blurry, but they're all eggs and you can see a couple of the bugs. They seem to be around 1cm-1.5cm long with what looks like a stinger or something at the back.
UTN23gzCRZi9UcxiKG-lTA.png
8vkXou0fQtWCqfit6b80jg.png

I don't recognise those but I bought some F10 insecticide for my guinea pigs cages that should do the trick.

It would help if you added your location to your profile so we can help more as to what they might be.

I'm not 100% sure I don't think I've seen things like that here before, but it's a bit blurry so not sure.

Do you leave woodshavings in there. I don't know what the bugs are but it may be a perfect breeding ground for them. Hope someone comes up with an answer I'm intrigued. Meant to say welcome to our friendly forum

Earwigs perhaps? If so they don't hurt your animal. They infest anything with wood like my rabbit hutch and tortoise run. They're annoying and strange insects and they kay their eggs in the smallest places!

5547ab63c18b528c38b892ece29dbeef.jpg

If I have finacard sitting around for a long time I get silver fish.

silverfish-illustration_1500x1200.jpg

Earwigs perhaps? If so they don't hurt your animal. They infest anything with wood like my rabbit hutch and tortoise run. They're annoying and strange insects and they kay their eggs in the smallest places!

View attachment 65098

I do agree they're like that. But I'd definitely rather not have them there. I want the cleanest and safest environment for my pigs. I searched it earlier and found it was them, but wanted other opinions still.

Thanks for the kind messages, I would've attached all the quotes but I forgot and didn't realise it worked on phone. I'm in the UK in Yorkshire. I do leave the shavings in there, but they were basically completely clean, and since they burrow in wood and things will explain why they're there.

Would the F10 spray work here? Or os there a paint that will help too? I'd rather avoid having them as I don't want my pigs to eat any of the eggs, as they can fall pn the grass and god knows what'd happen if they did. As said above, I definitely agree that they're earwigs.

F10 is for all animal housing, it gets into the cracks and keeps the material protected.

F10 is for all animal housing, it gets into the cracks and keeps the material protected.

Is there any best place to order/purchase? I may as well test that. Thanks for helping!

I added general info to my account to make it easier for the future!

You're welcome. I ordered F10 insecticide from Amazon. I would post a link but for some reason my Amazon links don't show properly. It is a surface spray for animal housing and costs £23.50.

You're welcome. I ordered F10 insecticide from Amazon. I would post a link but for some reason my Amazon links don't show properly. It is a surface spray for animal housing and costs £23.50.

I found the one you're talking about. Do you have to spray it often? And how well does it work.

I think it has worked. My guinea pigs still have sensitive backs but they're not scratching as much now. The spray leaves a coating, so it depends on whether it's likely to be washed off. It says to use 7 or 14 days later again depending on what you are using for. I kept using it while I was treating my guinea pigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back