• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Mites or not?

Babyfrida920

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My guinea pig Frida has been scratching a lot lately and she had a small bald spot on her back. I was sure that she had mites but It seems to be getting better especially every time I bathe her and I’m not sure if it’s mites anymore. Also her bald spot seems to be going away although she continues to scratch and bite a lot. I haven’t seen any signs of ticks or fleas either. So what else could it be?

Sounds like it could be fur/hay mites but only a vet can tell you for sure, a vet check should always be the first response to a bald patch and scratching/biting. Bathing should be avoided unless your piggy has very soiled fur, or a vet recommends it- as well as being stressful it can dry out and irritate the skin as it removes the natural oils. Please see a vet to find out for sure!

Sounds like it could be fur/hay mites but only a vet can tell you for sure, a vet check should always be the first response to a bald patch and scratching/biting. Bathing should be avoided unless your piggy has very soiled fur, or a vet recommends it- as well as being stressful it can dry out and irritate the skin as it removes the natural oils. Please see a vet to find out for sure!

I don’t have much money since I recently got a new job so I wasn’t able to take her to the vet so I’ve been seeing if I could figure it out myself but I’ve started to figure out that a vet is the only solution. And yes that’s the reason I’ve bathed her she has a habit of pooping and peeing inside her little bed cave I made her so she had poop on her fur and stuff. Thanks for letting me know I shouldn’t bath her a lot though that’s actually new information☺️☺️

My guinea pig Frida has been scratching a lot lately and she had a small bald spot on her back. I was sure that she had mites but It seems to be getting better especially every time I bathe her and I’m not sure if it’s mites anymore. Also her bald spot seems to be going away although she continues to scratch and bite a lot. I haven’t seen any signs of ticks or fleas either. So what else could it be?

Hi! Please see a vet for a correct diagnosis. It can be mange mites, hay mites or a fungal skin infection but treatment can differ depending on the diagnosis.

Please do not treat with low dosed broad spectrum shop products which will at the best only temporarily suppress symptoms, but not cure and at the worst contain toxic components and can kill.
Guinea pigs don't have species specific fleas, but flea powder can kill them; as can untreated or undertreated mange mites.
What to check and look out for in new guinea pigs (vet checks, sexing, parasites&illness)
Fleas And Flea Powders

It is vital that you save up on a weekly/monthly basis for a vet fund right from the start as part of their regular maintenance cost since vet cost make the overall largest budget post in any pet's lifetime. Guinea pigs are small animals with a very fast metabolism. They cannot wait for long in an emergency or when seriously ill until you can scrape the money together; but fees can quickly climb into the hundreds of dollars.
Saving up for an emergency fund is crucial - not only for your pet's wellbeing but also for your own peace of mind. Seeing a beloved pet suffer and die in pain, and having to live with the guilt of having failed their trust in the most fundamental of ways is a very harsh lesson to live with. It is an avoidable one that I would urge you to please try not to make; you want to at least have the solace of having given it a go when coping with the grieving process. :(
Unfortunately the shop price of guinea pigs does not in any way reflect their living and even less their medical cost. Most pets need to see a vet in their lifetime. There are no 'cheap' pets if you want to do it right.

All the best for sorting out the problem - with the correct care, it shouldn't be very difficult. ;)

Getting Started - New Owners' Most Helpful Guides

Back