• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My Guinea Pig Died A Sudden Death

kingboo94

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Tonight 18/5/19 at around 6pm, my 3 year old guinea pig died suddenly.

She wasn’t eating her food or wanting any water, wouldn’t move from the one spot, every 5-10 seconds it was like she did a big hiccup or it looked like she was convulsing and she kept making a weird sound with her mouth like she had something stuck in her teeth / throat.
She also felt a little floppy and lethargic.

Within 30 minutes (I had her in my arms) she bit my finger so bad that it bled and then 5 seconds later she died. :’(

I am so devastated, I wish I knew what went wrong.
She’s always been so happy and healthy.

If you can relate to this or have any idea as to why my guinea pig passed away so suddenly, please let me know.

And my housemate was on the phone to the vet as she died.

Sounds to me like a heart problem. Probly genetic, same happened to my sister in laws cat, and also i have been bitten hard by pets when they are about to die. Its almost like a yelp saying leave me be. It is horrible. I'm sorry for your loss x

So sorry for you, it must have been a terrible shock. Sending hugs, try and remember that you gave her a beautiful life full of love x
It sounds like she has had a stroke or heart attack to suddenly die so quickly.
Sleep tight little lady x

Tonight 18/5/19 at around 6pm, my 3 year old guinea pig died suddenly.

She wasn’t eating her food or wanting any water, wouldn’t move from the one spot, every 5-10 seconds it was like she did a big hiccup or it looked like she was convulsing and she kept making a weird sound with her mouth like she had something stuck in her teeth / throat.
She also felt a little floppy and lethargic.

Within 30 minutes (I had her in my arms) she bit my finger so bad that it bled and then 5 seconds later she died. :’(

I am so devastated, I wish I knew what went wrong.
She’s always been so happy and healthy.

If you can relate to this or have any idea as to why my guinea pig passed away so suddenly, please let me know.

And my housemate was on the phone to the vet as she died.

Hi and welcome

I am very sorry; what you are describing are the later stages of multiple organ failure as the body was closing down. Dying is a lot more physical than the usual vague concept of gently drifting away in one's sleep lets one expect. Please take heart that by that stage of the organs breaking down and reacting to the lack of oxygen, your piggy would have been mostly unconscious because the lack of oxygen also affects the brain; it looking worse for the unprepared onlooker.

Sadly you will never know what exactly has caused it. It can be acute heart failure, a heart attack, a stroke or another organ failing; all of which can happen out of the blue at any time of life.

You may find these links here helpful to put your experience in context and see that you have done the right thing by talking to a vet and to help you with the grieving process:
Emergency and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment
Human Bereavement - Grieving, coping tips and support links for guinea pig owners and their children
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Sounds to me like a heart problem. Probly genetic, same happened to my sister in laws cat, and also i have been bitten hard by pets when they are about to die. Its almost like a yelp saying leave me be. It is horrible. I'm sorry for your loss x
Hi and welcome

I am very sorry; what you are describing are the later stages of multiple organ failure as the body was closing down. Dying is a lot more physical than the usual vague concept of gently drifting away in one's sleep lets one expect. Please take heart that by that stage of the organs breaking down and reacting to the lack of oxygen, your piggy would have been mostly unconscious because the lack of oxygen also affects the brain; it looking worse for the unprepared onlooker.

Sadly you will never know what exactly has caused it. It can be acute heart failure, a heart attack, a stroke or another organ failing; all of which can happen out of the blue at any time of life.

You may find these links here helpful to put your experience in context and see that you have done the right thing by talking to a vet and to help you with the grieving process:
Emergency and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment
Human Bereavement - Grieving, coping tips and support links for guinea pig owners and their children
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
thank you so much for your kind words and going in-depth with all of that.

All I really care about is if my guinea pig was in any pain when she went, I just pray she wasn’t :-(

thank you so much for your kind words and going in-depth with all of that.

All I really care about is if my guinea pig was in any pain when she went, I just pray she wasn’t :-(

HUGS

On the whole, any inevitable suffering was short and your piggy would not have been fully conscious anymore in the last dramatic stages of the organs breaking down.; which - since your friend was still on the phone to the vet, can't have lasted too long. I know this from sitting a with a fair number of my own piggies over the years. ;)

It is however a very frightening experience; especially the first time round, and especially when it is your first brush with death.

Please take the time to read the guide links; you will find that they will answer a number of your questions and also help you make sense of what you experiencing now and in the coming days.

It is a very normal reaction that you are trying to make sense of what you have just been through and that you are very upset. The grieving guide will talk you through the different stages of the grieving process, but you are welcome to continue posting on this thread if you need more support or have questions.

Back