• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My guinea pig keeps coughing

cookiesandcream

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello, my guinea pig at the age of 3 has started sneezing yesterday but it’s sneezing quite often not just one small one. I’m not sure if I should take it to the vet or wait a couple days to see if it gets worse. I’m really worried and hope that I can help her in someway😭.

How many times a day is piggy sneezing? Is it when eating or buried in hay eating? Or drinking? Or cleaning itself?

How many times a day is piggy sneezing? Is it when eating or buried in hay eating? Or drinking? Or cleaning itself?
It’s quite often throughout the day, I have seen her sneeze when it was eating hay from the ground. As well as just walking around.

I’ve noticed my piggies sneeze more on meadow hay than other hay types. Is the straw or hay dustier than normal? Could be pollen from flowers? Has the piggie got any discharge around the eyes or nose? Any wheezing from chest at all? Xx

I think the best thing is to take her to the vet just for a check. It could be nothing or something. Hopefully the latter.

I’ve noticed my piggies sneeze more on meadow hay than other hay types. Is the straw or hay dustier than normal? Could be pollen from flowers? Has the piggie got any discharge around the eyes or nose? Any wheezing from chest at all? Xx
I have recently got a new hay because it was the only one I could find in stores, it just says Excel feeding hay WITH MEADOW FLOWERS. So it could be pollen from flowers! They don’t have any discharge and I think she does sneeze after eating the hay! There’s no wheezing as far as I’m concerned, the hay is a mix of loads of things not just straw or thin bits so it could be that too! I’ll definitely go to the shop tomorrow and try and look for different hay thanks so much!💓

Sometimes hay can be dusty which makes piggies sneeze but it is always a good idea to go to the vet if you have any concern.
A good vet would rather see and reassure a caring owner than see a piggy when it’s too late to do anything.

Back