My mum is allergic to the pigs fur and hay

WombleandBear

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My mum has been struggling with allergies. She's taking medication and it's not working so unless I find a solution I don' know what will happen with the pigs living indoors. The main problem seems to be fur and smaller bits of hay accumulating in the washing machine after a blanket wash. I keep wiping the washing machine before a wash but the fur still ends up everywhere and on regular clothes. I shake the blankets out after spot cleaning them during deep cleans but I can't get everything off. Is there any way I can reduce the amount of fur and hay getting everywhere?

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
As you say the main problem is the washing machine, then, if you don’t already, using a pet wash bag to put the fleece in before putting in the washing machine can reduce the fur and hay which comes out into the machine (most of the stray pieces, and there is always some, will stay within the bag but it does mean that it will stick back to the fleece within the bag). Your alternative is to switch to a disposable bedding.

Bill & Ted

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I would try paper type bedding instead of blankets or fleece. That way you don’t need to put anything in the washing machine. You can also buy wooden houses or ones made out of thin sticks at require no washing. See how that works. use disposable clothes to wipe around the cage too, I use sensitive skin unscented baby wipes, Huggies do good ones that are very cheap.

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
Is your Mum actually allergic to the hay and fur, or does she dislike the hay and fur in the washing machine and on clothes.
To be honest it sounds like the latter, which is fair enough, but quite different to a medical allergy.

As has already been mentioned to keep hay and fur pout of the washing machine pop everything into a Horsewear wash bag first.
Actually you can't easily get Horsewear wash bags here (Switzerland) so I use a single duvet cover with a zip closure instead and it works exactly the same.

WombleandBear

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Is your Mum actually allergic to the hay and fur, or does she dislike the hay and fur in the washing machine and on clothes.
To be honest it sounds like the latter, which is fair enough, but quite different to a medical allergy.

As has already been mentioned to keep hay and fur pout of the washing machine pop everything into a Horsewear wash bag first.
Actually you can't easily get Horsewear wash bags here (Switzerland) so I use a single duvet cover with a zip closure instead and it works exactly the same.
Her eyes become red and sting, she thought it was mascara so stopped wearing it before realising theres fur everywhere and if she's in the same room as the pigs it makes her eyes water. I'll have a look online for a horsewear bag

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
If they’re in a room she can’t avoid you may have to consider moving the elsewhere or outdoors. Is she using antihistamines?