• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

my piggy ate an avocado leaf I'm sorry

daisyandsofi2060

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ive done a horrible thing I'm a horrible piggy mum. I had an avocado plant in my room and i left it on the floor for around an hour to clean my room. I didnt know it was toxic to guinea pigs and mine ate half of a leaf . I didnt think anything of it and just saw she has diarrhea 24 hours later . I search it up and see its a sign of avocado toxicity and that her heart may fail. I'm panicking and i have no idea why I'm posting this . Can I do anything or is it too late ?

I see you live in Romania,I'm not sure if you have emergency vets.i would look online....to see if you have any vets open.
I'm sorry your piggie is poorly.Good luck.
thank you so so much. I'm going to the vet tommorow and the people at my local church are praying for her because they know how much she means to me

I'm at school rn but my dad said her 💩 isnt that runny anymore and we ll visit the vet

Just know that diarrhoea at all is an emergency and certainly should not be left unchecked for any length of time.
You will want to switch from the routine weekly weight checks and instead weigh her daily so you can more closely monitor hay intake and step in with syringe feeding.
You need to check for any potential damage caused by eating something toxic as an emergency.
As it has already been longer than 24 hours then it is quite important she is checked by a vet today.

Emergency and Crisis Care as well as Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment
Digestive Disorders: Not Eating - Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement)
All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures

Just know that diarrhoea at all is an emergency and certainly should not be left unchecked for any length of time.
You will want to switch from the routine weekly weight checks and instead weigh her daily so you can more closely monitor hay intake and step in with syringe feeding.
You need to check for any potential damage caused by eating something toxic as an emergency.
As it has already been longer than 24 hours then it is quite important she is checked by a vet today.

Emergency and Crisis Care as well as Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment
Digestive Disorders: Not Eating - Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement)
All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures
oh about the seringe feeding cause she eats enough and the vet said her wound is fully healed just needs her hair to grow

oh about the seringe feeding cause she eats enough and the vet said her wound is fully healed just needs her hair to grow

I’m sorry I don’t understand why there is a wound and she lost her hair? That must be a separate issue unrelated to this post?
I can’t see that is linked to her eating an avocado plant and having diarrhoea?

You can only tell a piggy is eating enough hay through the routine weight checks. As she has had diarrhoea and eaten something toxic then that’s an emergency and means she need to be taken off of all veg, increase hay intake and syringe fed to replace fibre intake and lost fluid and see a vet for that issue.

I’m sorry I don’t understand why there is a wound and she lost her hair? That must be a separate issue unrelated to this post?
I can’t see that is linked to her eating an avocado plant and having diarrhoea?

You can only tell a piggy is eating enough hay through the routine weight checks. As she has had diarrhoea and eaten something toxic then that’s an emergency and means she need to be taken off of all veg, increase hay intake and syringe fed to replace fibre intake and lost fluid and see a vet for that issue.
oh oh i thought you saw the other post about the surgery omg in sorry so she had a surgery and I thought your comment was related to that

oh oh i thought you saw the other post about the surgery omg in sorry so she had a surgery and I thought your comment was related to that

Oh I see - the posts relating to your male piggy having surgery is on a different thread.
I was wondering about your piggy who ate the avocado leaf (this thread)

Oh I see - the posts relating to your male piggy having surgery is on a different thread.
I was wondering about your piggy who ate the avocado leaf (this thread)
oh I understand now. So this on that ate the avocado salad isnt having too much diarrhea anymore but we re going to the vet in about an hour

he hasnt got diarrhea anymore and hes quite happy . Its been almost 46 hours since he ate that part of the avocado leaf so do you think it affected him

he hasnt got diarrhea anymore and hes quite happy . Its been almost 46 hours since he ate that part of the avocado leaf so do you think it affected him

I may have but it is impossible to say for sure. But glad that the diarrhea has settled again. I would certainly make sure that there are no more avocado leaves where he can eat them.

Back