• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My poor fluffy - sudden laboured breathing

Prasiddha

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My girl fluffy is 11 months old. She has gone through series of illness and difficulties. Unexpected back to back pregnancy, URI and fur mites. At last past a month all got cured, she started gaining weight and was living happily. Even today morning she was good eating well and popcorning. It is hot and humid here so she is given all possible remedies to make her surrounding cool. An air cooler in the room. Damp cloth on top of her cage and also frozen bottle in socks to keep them cool. Half an hour back she was sitting near her frozen bottle and had rapid breathing as if she was in labour. While she is breathing, her head nods with the breathing rhythm. What do I do? I can't visit the vet till tomorrow. My vet is not available. Since there are no exotic vets in my city, I can't trust any other vet except mine. What do I do? Is she in danger? What could be the possible reason. My poor girl is ungoing so much in life. I feel miserable and useless.

To add on this, there is no noisy breathing, no sneezing or wheezing. Nor discharge from eye or nose. Only issue is having rapid breathing. Her rapid breathing is visible. Stomach and head goes up and down

My girl fluffy is 11 months old. She has gone through series of illness and difficulties. Unexpected back to back pregnancy, URI and fur mites. At last past a month all got cured, she started gaining weight and was living happily. Even today morning she was good eating well and popcorning. It is hot and humid here so she is given all possible remedies to make her surrounding cool. An air cooler in the room. Damp cloth on top of her cage and also frozen bottle in socks to keep them cool. Half an hour back she was sitting near her frozen bottle and had rapid breathing as if she was in labour. While she is breathing, her head nods with the breathing rhythm. What do I do? I can't visit the vet till tomorrow. My vet is not available. Since there are no exotic vets in my city, I can't trust any other vet except mine. What do I do? Is she in danger? What could be the possible reason. My poor girl is ungoing so much in life. I feel miserable and useless.

Unfortunately, this sounds like an emergency. She urgently needs her heart checked.

It always happens at a bad time. :(

HUGS

Thank you @Wiebke

I called my vet and said sounds emergency so take her to another vet. I took her to the vet my vet suggested. He observed her and checked her heart beat and rhythm. He said I find her heart enlarged. He never took an X-ray. He said I don't have facility to take X-ray and it isn't needed. I don't know how he can find an enlarged heart with just observing her heart with stethoscope. :no: He gave her two medicines. Lotensin (5 mg tablet) dissolve 1/4 of the tablet and give half of the amount (0.75 mg 12hrs once) . And Lasix (5mg twice a day). Should I give her these medicines or wait till my vet comes tomorrow. My vet trust this vet but I don't trust since he found my girls heart enlarged without an X-ray. I am feeling helpless.

Thank you @Wiebke

I called my vet and said sounds emergency so take her to another vet. I took her to the vet my vet suggested. He observed her and checked her heart beat and rhythm. He said I find her heart enlarged. He never took an X-ray. He said I don't have facility to take X-ray and it isn't needed. I don't know how he can find an enlarged heart with just observing her heart with stethoscope. :no: He gave her two medicines. Lotensin (5 mg tablet) dissolve 1/4 of the tablet and give half of the amount (0.75 mg 12hrs once) . And Lasix (5mg twice a day). Should I give her these medicines or wait till my vet comes tomorrow. My vet trust this vet but I don't trust since he found my girls heart enlarged without an X-ray. I am feeling helpless.

@Abi_nurse @furryfriends (TEAS) @helen105281 @Jaycey

Please give these medications ASAP. They are both safe to give although UK brand names differ.

Lasix is a generic brand name for furosemide, which is a diuretic (preventing the build-up of fluid in the body from a struggling/failing heart). A diuretic is an integral part of any heart piggy treatment.

Lotensin is a generic brand name for benazepril, which is an ACE inhibitor. The UK brand name is fortekor.

You and Fluffy have had quite a bit to cope with recently. You poor things! It just goes to show the love and care that you have given her that has made her pull through. I'm sure you'll help her through this next problem too. :hug:

@Abi_nurse @furryfriends (TEAS) @helen105281 @Jaycey

Please give these medications ASAP. They are both safe to give although UK brand names differ.

Lasix is a generic brand name for furosemide, which is a diuretic (preventing the build-up of fluid in the body from a struggling/failing heart). A diuretic is an integral part of any heart piggy treatment.

Lotensin is a generic brand name for benazepril, which is an ACE inhibitor. The UK brand name is fortekor.
Thank you @Wiebke. I will give her the medicine.

PS: An enlarged heart is an inefficiently working heart; a good vet can pick up the signs of it with a stethoscope.

But it would perfectly explain why Fluffy struggles so much to pick up weight despite your good care and why she is so prone to respiratory infections - repeated URIs can be a symptom of heart problems; there is a direct link. ;)

Cherish every happy day she has with you and see it as an achievement. She would very likely not be alive if it had not been for you! :tu:

PS: An enlarged heart is an inefficiently working heart; a good vet can pick up the signs of it with a stethoscope.

But it would perfectly explain why Fluffy struggles so much to pick up weight despite your good care and why she is so prone to respiratory infections - repeated URIs can be a symptom of heart problems; there is a direct link. ;)

Cherish every happy day she has with you and see it as an achievement. She would very likely not be alive if it had not been for you! :tu:
This means she should be on medicine for life time? I wish she lives long even though consuming medicine

This means she should be on medicine for life time? I wish she lives long even though consuming medicine

Yes. A diagnosed heart piggy needs life long medication, the same as a human.

Our medically more experienced members and those with personal experience with looking after diagnosed heart piggies can give you more tips re. other helpful medications to ask your vet for and what to look out for.

So sorry that Fluffy is struggling.
With your love and care I’m sure she will have a great life .

Friends,

Bad news I was looking for benazepril 5 mg everywhere here. I am not getting this drug here. All the medicals I know have ordered for the drug but can get the medicine only on Monday. I am scared I will lose her. The vet is also clueless on safe alternative medicine for my guinea pig. My vet says on the phone I am sorry let's hope she survive till then. Take care of her and if any emergency in increased laboured breathing he asked me to bring her for nebuliser. I don't want to me useless. Is there any alternative drug used from prior experience that I could suggest the vet ?

These are few ACE inhibitors. Have anyone used any of these drugs instead of benazepril?
Can I suggest any of these drugs as alternative to my vet?

IMG_8590.jpg

My girl has last 50 GMs. I slowly made her gain weight to 600 gms. Now she is just 550 I am scared 😭

July 15 is her one year birthday. I was planning a lot with her. Now my girl is terribly sick 😭

Enalapril can be used instead @Prasiddha . You mentioned above that you have Lotensin, that's a brand name of Benazapril.

Try not to worry too much. Shes already on good medication and the diuretic should make a difference to her at least for the weekend.

I had a pig who was in heart medicine for 2 years and he did really well. When he passed away it wasn't heart related.

Enalapril can be used instead @Prasiddha . You mentioned above that you have Lotensin, that's a brand name of Benazapril.

Try not to worry too much. Shes already on good medication and the diuretic should make a difference to her at least for the weekend.

I had a pig who was in heart medicine for 2 years and he did really well. When he passed away it wasn't heart related.

I wrote it wrong. I meant the vet prescribed lotensin 5 mg. but I never got hold of the tablet anywhere around. I searched all the pharmacies. At present tonight I have just given her lasix dosage. She is still have consistent laboured breathing. I have ordered online benace 5 mg (Indian brand - benazepril) will reach my hands only on July 3rd. Thank you @Jaycey will try getting enalapril tomorrow. The first thing in the morning. Will also check with the vet before buying. I hope and pray she survives this night.

And one more information. Was your piggy on continuous dosage of ACE Inhibitor for life time. Was your piggy having consistent 1mg/kg medicine 12h once each and every day? Was she/he on any other life time medicine. Please help with your experience. Could share with vet. It would help great to get him more idea.

Back