my two young sows are fighting

sionedlily

New Born Pup
Reaction score
i have two female guinea pigs (called Alby and Birch) who i've had for nearly two weeks now. they are from the same litter and are both just over a month old. they're still in the process of bonding however i think they got in a bit of an argument whilst i was asleep and Birch now has a cut on the side of her nose. i know it's not common for female guinea pigs to fight like that which is why i'm concerned. should i seperate them for a few days or even permanently or should i just keep a close eye on them? any advice is really appreciated as i am a first time guinea pig owner and i just want both of them to be happy and healthy!

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
How have they been since?
are your hideys all two exits hideys or are they enclosed With only one way in and out?

sionedlily

New Born Pup
Reaction score
How have they been since?
are your hideys all two exits hideys or are they enclosed With only one way in and out?
they both seems fine now to he honest, they're both eating and running around. however they are squabbling over food despite there being more than enough for both of them? i have two tunnels and two hay houses so they have plenty of options, there's also a small level in the cage which they like hiding under.

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Could the cut to the nose have been a misplaced swipe by the other piggy? How are they normally?

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
its

it's a ferplast plaza 160, it measures 162cm x 60cm
good, it’s a nice cage (i have one as a spare /emergency cage myself). If you’ve got the plastic platform in, do you have the little ramp up to it attached? I only ask because the entrance the other side of the ramp to get under the platform could be considered as a one exit hidey meaning a piggy can get cornered under the platform and this is the kind of place that a piggy can feel cornered if other piggy is blocking the entrance, and this is how defensive wounds can occur. To that end, I never out use such platforms in commercial cages

sionedlily

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Could the cut to the nose have been a misplaced swipe by the other piggy? How are they normally?
it might well have been, they're both usually pretty friendly with each other, the odd squabble here and there but they've never drawn blood. they're perfectly happy to cuddle up together when they sleep, this cut was really unexpected

sionedlily

New Born Pup
Reaction score
good, it’s a nice cage (i have one as a spare /emergency cage myself). If you’ve got the plastic platform in, do you have the little ramp up to it attached? I only ask because the entrance the other side of the ramp to get under the platform could be considered as a one exit hidey meaning a piggy can get cornered under the platform and this is the kind of place that a piggy can feel cornered if other piggy is blocking the entrance, and this is how defensive wounds can occur. To that end, I never out use such platforms in commercial cages
i built my own wooden ramp for the level as the plastic one was a bit too steep, i did put it in the corner still. i'll try moving it to the middle so that they can run around it if they need to :)

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds more like a misjudged backfoot swipe.

Please take the time to read our sow guide and keep in mind that the first seasons in a new group/home can be very dramatic when the new hierarchy is not yet full assured.
Here is the link. You will hopefully find it very helpful: Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)