• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Need advice! Is it possible for my three boars to get along?

Didiri1337

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all!
I'm sorry about the long text but can someone please, please give me some advice about bonding my piggies?

So, I have three guinea pig boars, two bonded brothers, Billy and Teddy, (around 16 months old) and one named Carlos, who I got separately (between 4-6 years old, probably a cuy).
All three are rescues.
I know three boars getting along is very rare, but when I first got them, they got along fine. They lived in the same cage after a few weeks of getting Carlos and aside from some occasional chattering it was fine. After a while Billy started bullying Carlos, and finally after a particularly bad fight I had to separate them and take Carlos to the vet. I tried reintroducing them, but they never could get along, except for outside. During lawn time they are completely fine and just graze under the same roof, right next to each other in peace.

Currently Carlos lives in a cage that is honestly far too little, but I simply cannot make it any bigger, I already can barely walk through the Guinea pig room due to how big Billy's and Teddy´s cage is. They have a C&C 5*2 cage with a 2*2 loft, and a "grass-box" I made myself out of a see-through Ikea box. Carlos’ cage is around 60* 50 cm2 (however, he seems fine with that and mostly sleeps, since he is a senior, but I know he would love some more room to explore and more company). I so wish Carlos could live with the others in the big cage. Currently Carlos' cage is right next to the big one, and they interact well through the bars. I never hear any chattering or cage-biting, just sniffing and "small talk".

I've already tried bonding them again several times; Scent swapping, buddy baths, introducing them on neutral ground with tons of food etc.
The only thing that works is having them outside on lawn time, but they have a fallout as soon as they get inside.

I’ve tried everything I could find on the internet, and I've read all the guides here as well as having talked to my veterinarian. Honestly I’m kind of desperate. I feel horribly guilty that Carlos is living on his own i a small cage. I want him to be happy so badly, but I don't know what to do.:(

(Thank you for reading and I’m sorry for my bad grammar; English is not my first language)

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! 🙏

Probably not what you want to hear but doubt it. Once bond has failed you are risking injury by re-attempting to bond them, in your position I would not be trying to bond them again. By letting them out on the grass as a three you are risking the bond of your duo also - so best not to do this i am afraid

I am sorry. Could you get Carlos another friend.

Boar trios rarely work and the forum is littered with threads of people joining because of fights. I wish we had a magic answer but sadly not.

Probably not what you want to hear but doubt it. Once bond has failed you are risking injury by re-attempting to bond them, in your position I would not be trying to bond them again. By letting them out on the grass as a three you are risking the bond of your duo also - so best not to do this i am afraid

I am sorry. Could you get Carlos another friend.

Boar trios rarely work and the forum is littered with threads of people joining because of fights. I wish we had a magic answer but sadly not.

I see. That was honestly what I was expecting to hear, so thank you for replying.
I would love to get Carlos a friend, the problem is that when he sadly passes due to age, that would leave another lone and bereaved guinea pig. Since I can neither put a new boar or sow with Billy and Teddy, that means I would have to get yet another pig and split Billy and Teddy up with a sow of their own.. I don't know if I have the room to do that sadly. However I would get him a friend if it is what would be best for Carlos, and there is no other way.

It’s really the only way. He could have another 4 years to live, and that would be very lonely if he lived alone without any interaction with the pair - even as neighbours is better than nothing since they can’t live together.

His cage is really too small as well. Is there a way you could rearrange the pair’s cage so that it’s in a L shape. Then have him next to them in an expanded cage?He may seem fine but it really isn’t enough room, even for one piggy.

Another avenue to explore would be fostering a friend for him. Here some rescues can ‘loan’ you a piggy as a companion for your lone one, until they pass away. You then pass the foster piggy back. I don’t know if you have many rescues in Sweden but perhaps try to find out and see. Hej hej!

It’s really the only way. He could have another 4 years to live, and that would be very lonely if he lived alone without any interaction with the pair - even as neighbours is better than nothing since they can’t live together.

His cage is really too small as well. Is there a way you could rearrange the pair’s cage so that it’s in a L shape. Then have him next to them in an expanded cage?He may seem fine but it really isn’t enough room, even for one piggy.

Another avenue to explore would be fostering a friend for him. Here some rescues can ‘loan’ you a piggy as a companion for your lone one, until they pass away. You then pass the foster piggy back. I don’t know if you have many rescues in Sweden but perhaps try to find out and see. Hej hej!
I'll try to rearrange the cages as best I can, I could maybe buy him another C&C just for him 🤔

Hm, I've never heard of that before. There really aren't a lot of guinea pig rescues around here, but it's a great idea so I'll definitely look into it!

Thank you for the suggestions!
Tack så mycket! 😊

You could. Or you buy more grids and make an area around the current cage that he has 24/7 access to. If you can rearrange and have them as neighbours then you wouldn’t have to get another one to keep him company.

Det var så lidt 😊

Back