• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

New Cagemate After Sudden Death?

Sage

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I hate to have my first post here be so depressing, but I'm not sure what to do right now. I had 2 guinea pigs, Einstein and Snickers. Snickers was adopted at 7 weeks from a local rescue as a new cagemate for Einstein, whos last cagemate, Mr. Cuddles, died suddenly due to a stroke.
Today, however, as I was leaving to see some friends, I noticed Snickers flailing his back legs. I took him out and he was limp, but responsive. He tried to carry himself but kept falling over. The local vets wouldn't take him due to the fact that they were all booked, and I was left to watch as my baby got worse and eventually passed the same day he was hurt. I suspect he fell on his head when trying to get down from the second story of our C&C cage (which i have now removed the ramp to).
My question is that because Einstein has experienced the loss of 2 cagemates(of whom he was bonded to), should I risk getting another? Einstein is very emotional and reacted very negatively when Mr. Cuddles passed. Please help.

mshappy89

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It is early days but piggies do love company of their own kind.

How old.einstein? Really sorry for your loss xx

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
So sorry for your loss - that must have been distressing for you.
If it helps my Merab has lost 2 cagemates and is now very happily bonded with 2 girls who came as babies.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I hate to have my first post here be so depressing, but I'm not sure what to do right now. I had 2 guinea pigs, Einstein and Snickers. Snickers was adopted at 7 weeks from a local rescue as a new cagemate for Einstein, whos last cagemate, Mr. Cuddles, died suddenly due to a stroke.
Today, however, as I was leaving to see some friends, I noticed Snickers flailing his back legs. I took him out and he was limp, but responsive. He tried to carry himself but kept falling over. The local vets wouldn't take him due to the fact that they were all booked, and I was left to watch as my baby got worse and eventually passed the same day he was hurt. I suspect he fell on his head when trying to get down from the second story of our C&C cage (which i have now removed the ramp to).
My question is that because Einstein has experienced the loss of 2 cagemates(of whom he was bonded to), should I risk getting another? Einstein is very emotional and reacted very negatively when Mr. Cuddles passed. Please help.
Hi and welcome!

I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds like a stroke or a really bad seizure to me, poor little boy. They can happen at any age unfortunately although it is not quite as common at this young an age. :(
You are welcome to post a tribute to Snickers in our Rainbow Bridge section if or whenever it feels right for you.

Please find Einstein a new companion. The best place is one of our recommended rescues that offers dating at the rescue. The rescues we recommend all rehome only healthy and fully quarantined piggies that properly sexed. The vast majority also offer dating at the rescue, so you come home with a new mate only if acceptance has happened. It won't be quite as cheap and may take a bit longer, but it is well worth the extra effort for total peace of mind!
You can find our tips for bereaved piggies, including lists of recommended rescues for several countries via this link here. Unless we know where you are roughly located, we cannot help you any further.
Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...cation-and-creating-an-avatar-picture.107444/

Sage

New Born Pup
Reaction score
It is early days but piggies do love company of their own kind.

How old.einstein? Really sorry for your loss xx
Einstein was a rescue so I'm not entirely sure, but hes fully grown and full of energy.