• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

New Guinea pig with ruptured tumor/cyst?

CocoaMocha

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So my uncle has had a female guinea pig for about 5 years. She was living with her babies, but they were given away, as well as the male since he was not neutured and hard to contain. He has rescued several cats, moved, and has other personal things which don’t give him enough time for a Guinea pig.

So, we offered to take her, and we picked her up today. (I have 2 healthy female Guinea pigs that are currently separated bc of fighting) The New Guinea pigs cage is separated from our 2 pigs.

He knows that she has had this tumor/cyst (I don’t remember at the moment which) for a while, and a vet confirmed it is not cancerous.
But She has not been to the vet in a while, therefore not any proper care for the now ruptured cyst, and I am also concerned about her since she has also not been properly cared for.(wrong bedding, too many carrots, dirty water)
We DID get a vet appointment, which is Friday (not many exotic vets where I live) and keep in mind we have only had her since this morning.
*She is also very laid back and happy, and was not too stressed out by the drive, and is eating and drinking fine*

Her cyst appeared to scabbed over this morning, and she scratched or bit it today and it is now opened and it is very large and gross, and I am worried it will get infected. I have not seen this before on my pigs, is there anything I should put on it? Is there anything to do/not do before the appointment?
(YES I know in the picture there are shavings but there is now paper bedding;soon fleece)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 22
I would personally call the vets back and explain that the lump has ruptured and you are worried about infection as they might squeeze your appointment in sooner. It obviously sounds like its causing discomfort for her to open it back up. Out of interest what does it look like, is it thick pus or watery and very smelly? You could make up some saline from salt and water to clean it gently with a cotton pad

I'm so sorry your uncle has allowed her to get to this state :( as suggested above, is there any chance you could get a vet appointment sooner? Even if it means travelling a bit further and going to a different vet? Even there really is no chance of this happening, I would maybe suggest making a salt water saline solution to just dab the area with with cotton wool just to help prevent infection, but with s wound like that it really does need veterinary attention.

I hope your uncle doesn't let any of his other animals get like this :(

Good luck 🤞

I'm so sorry your uncle has allowed her to get to this state :( as suggested above, is there any chance you could get a vet appointment sooner? Even if it means travelling a bit further and going to a different vet? Even there really is no chance of this happening, I would maybe suggest making a salt water saline solution to just dab the area with with cotton wool just to help prevent infection, but with s wound like that it really does need veterinary attention.

I hope your uncle doesn't let any of his other animals get like this :(

Good luck 🤞
Yes, we were thankfully able to get one tomorrow morning
I would personally call the vets back and explain that the lump has ruptured and you are worried about infection as they might squeeze your appointment in sooner. It obviously sounds like its causing discomfort for her to open it back up. Out of interest what does it look like, is it thick pus or watery and very smelly? You could make up some saline from salt and water to clean it gently with a cotton pad
We got an earlier appointment. Thanks, I’ll make that saline solution too.

That is good news she'll be out of pain after she has recovered from the op. You should find your Piggy had a whole new attitude to life now.:)

Update; she got surgery and they removed the mass and she has antibiotics. She’s overall pretty healthy! I’m happy she did well under anesthesia at 5.
So pleased it was a success, and fingers crossed for a speedy recovery

Glad the surgery went well and hoping that she will recover fully now.
She's a lucky girl to have a new home with you.

Welcome to the forum

Back