• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

New Guinea Snuffles

Kimberleyccoops

New Born Pup
Reaction score
After recently loosing my old girl, I have got a baby to keep the other girl company (they are about a years difference in age) the new one is about 10 weeks old.

They are getting on very well but I’ve noticed they are both snuffling a little bit and sneezing.

I’ve read somewhere that they can some time pick up colds after stress etc. But I’m a little worried. I’m not sure if I’m over reacting cause of loosing my oldie or being an over protective baby pig mummy.

Any advice wouldn’t be greatly appreciated. There’s no discharge that I can see or feel from either and both are eating and drinking well and active in themselves

Any kind of snuffles or sneezing need a vets opinion. They don't pick up colds but they can get upper respiratory infections (URI's) which do need antibiotics to treat promptly. Has there been any other changes, different bedding or hay etc that could cause the problem? Is it just one of them or both? Sometimes dust in bedding or hay can cause similar symptoms as well

That’s what I’m worried about URI’s, I’ve never had any with it before so not to sure what the tell signs are.

They are indoor and have fleece bedding. No changes to detergent or anything, they do have hay which may be slightly dusty. Both have sneezed a few times. The little one sounds more snuffly than the older. They have been together for a week tomorrow.

I think I will take them to the vets tomorrow just to be sure. There not consistent snuffling just now and then and no discharge but want to be sure. I’d hate for it to be anything serious, I don’t think I’d coping with loosing another

That’s what I’m worried about URI’s, I’ve never had any with it before so not to sure what the tell signs are.

They are indoor and have fleece bedding. No changes to detergent or anything, they do have hay which may be slightly dusty. Both have sneezed a few times. The little one sounds more snuffly than the older. They have been together for a week tomorrow.

I think I will take them to the vets tomorrow just to be sure. There not consistent snuffling just now and then and no discharge but want to be sure. I’d hate for it to be anything serious, I don’t think I’d coping with loosing another

Bless you, I would agree a vets trip for a check up would be good. With URI's they can go downhill so quick so I would always risk going to the vets and paying to be told they are perfectly healthy than to risk waiting. Fingers crossed all is ok with them

Thank you for your help. I’m going to try and book them in for tomorrow afternoon just for some peace of mind thank you it’s nice to find people that can help!

Hi!

I am very sorry for your loss.

If your baby is developing URI symptoms within 2 weeks of the sale, you can reclaim any vet cost from the pet shop by presenting the vet bill together with your sales receipt. It means that exposure to the bacteria must have happened there.

If in the least doubt, any decent vet will treat for bacterial URI first and foremost because it can kill or cause permanent damage. They will look for other avenues only if problems persist or return very quickly after the end of antibiotic treatment.
If your bereaved girl is healthy in herself, her own fully functional immune system should be able to fend off the problem, so there is no need to separate. It is mainly the young with not fully developed immune systems, and the frail, older or very stressed piggies that are prone to coming down with URI.

Hi!

I am very sorry for your loss.

If your baby is developing URI symptoms within 2 weeks of the sale, you can reclaim any vet cost from the pet shop by presenting the vet bill together with your sales receipt. It means that exposure to the bacteria must have happened there.

If in the least doubt, any decent vet will treat for bacterial URI first and foremost because it can kill or cause permanent damage. They will look for other avenues only if problems persist or return very quickly after the end of antibiotic treatment.
If your bereaved girl is healthy in herself, her own fully functional immune system should be able to fend off the problem, so there is no need to separate. It is mainly the young with not fully developed immune systems, and the frail, older or very stressed piggies that are prone to coming down with URI.

Thank you very much! Useful information to know. We had a trip to the vets this afternoon and they didn’t think they sounded to bad. To be on the safe side they have had a jab and I have a course of medicine for the both of them for 7 days! Fingers crossed the snuffling will stop!

little purdy only weighs in at 0.2 kg never seen such a small injection!

Thank you again for this information ☺️

Thank you very much! Useful information to know. We had a trip to the vets this afternoon and they didn’t think they sounded to bad. To be on the safe side they have had a jab and I have a course of medicine for the both of them for 7 days! Fingers crossed the snuffling will stop!

little purdy only weighs in at 0.2 kg never seen such a small injection!

Thank you again for this information ☺️

Please make sure that you give a pinch of probiotic either 1 hour before or 1-2 hours after the antibiotic to protect the guts. Baytril, which is the most commonly prescribed antibiotic, is known for affecting the gut bacteria too. You can get a probiotic from a pet shop in an emergency.
Information for that in our syringe feeding guide: Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Back