• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

New piggie owner, emergency! - Guinea pig not moving

Peanutpiggie

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I’m not sure if I should be worried but it’s 8:07 pm and the last time my peanut was out of his hidey and up on the fence for me to feed a treat was around 12. He’s been laying down in the same position and I’m not sure if he’s depressed or something is wrong... he wouldn’t eat the hay I put by his mouth and only eats pea flakes, I put the water bottle to him so he could drink.... any help? Should I take him to the vet? I’m very scared for my peanut!

I cleaned the cage and moved his house a little and he was chewing the new hay and ate some pea flakes and drank the water when I put him by it.. taking him tomorrow for sure.

If you are concerned that he may be ill, then he needs to see a vet.

He could be having a quiet day, if he lives by himself, then he will likely be lonely and really needs another guinea pig to live with.
Pea flakes should only be given as an occasional treat

I’m not sure if I should be worried but it’s 8:07 pm and the last time my peanut was out of his hidey and up on the fence for me to feed a treat was around 12. He’s been laying down in the same position and I’m not sure if he’s depressed or something is wrong... he wouldn’t eat the hay I put by his mouth and only eats pea flakes, I put the water bottle to him so he could drink.... any help? Should I take him to the vet? I’m very scared for my peanut!

Hi!

Is he able to stand and move around normally or not, and is he able to eat normally? Have you picked him up for a quick check?
If not, then he needs to see a vet asap as an emergency.

Please switch from weighing once weekly to weighing daily at the same time in order to monitor his food intake if you have concerns. Keep in mind that the weight swings around 30-40g over the course of 24 hours so weighing before breakfast or dinner is vital.
Here is the link to our comprehensive emergency information collection: Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

He is doing better now! He has come out and eating his new hay and his pellets and playing with his ball! Not sure what was going on but sure had me scared, still going to weigh him and go see a vet though just to make sure!

Sounds like something had scared him. I came home a few weeks ago and none of mine would come out for any food. I think my neighbours had been arguing and the shouting through the wall had scared them. I keep a door closed now when I go out so they can't hear anything from next door and it hasn't happened again.

Back