New piggies

Hannahb2804

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Recently got my piggies a week ago and each day I felt I made progress with bonding, they began to take food out of my hand and come out more but today I did a full cage clean and switched liners and beds and they’ve been in their beds all day like the first day they came, I'm just worried I’m back at the start? Are there any tips on bonding, I’ve ready the guides on here and looked up on YouTube videos and such but I just wondered if anyone has some advice, I know it’s not been long since I’ve had them but as they took food out my hands etc I thought progress was made? Also this sounds daft but they’ve not wheeked or anything yet when it’s food time they just look at me😂am I doing something wrong? Any help please. Thanks x

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
You’re not doing anything wrong. It’s just the way it is. Go slowly and at their pace and they will slowly trust you.

With regards wheeking, not all piggies do it. As an example, my boys were silent until the girls moved in. Now Toffee will wheek when he hears me come down the stairs or a rustling bag, but Fudge still doesn’t wheek. As for the girls, one of them was a wheeker from the beginning. So don’t take lack of wheeking as a sign of anything.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Recently got my piggies a week ago and each day I felt I made progress with bonding, they began to take food out of my hand and come out more but today I did a full cage clean and switched liners and beds and they’ve been in their beds all day like the first day they came, I'm just worried I’m back at the start? Are there any tips on bonding, I’ve ready the guides on here and looked up on YouTube videos and such but I just wondered if anyone has some advice, I know it’s not been long since I’ve had them but as they took food out my hands etc I thought progress was made? Also this sounds daft but they’ve not wheeked or anything yet when it’s food time they just look at me😂am I doing something wrong? Any help please. Thanks x
HI!

Please use our piggy whispering tips. Setbacks happen but your piggies should come round more quickly after each freak out.
Give them time so their roused prey animal instincts can settle down. that usually takes a day or two. then you start right back in square one but move through the steps more quickly.
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips

Always take a step back when you have pushed too far and restart on a lower level. You will get there faster in the end as they will trust you more quickly. Be however patient; it is more a matter of months for them to settle in fully than a matter of days.

PS: wheeking for food is a learned and not a natural behaviour. Not all piggies will do it, but they generally catch on quickly if they meet food wheekers!

Hannahb2804

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
You’re not doing anything wrong. It’s just the way it is. Go slowly and at their pace and they will slowly trust you.

With regards wheeking, not all piggies do it. As an example, my boys were silent until the girls moved in. Now Toffee will wheek when he hears me come down the stairs or a rustling bag, but Fudge still doesn’t wheek. As for the girls, one of them was a wheeker from the beginning. So don’t take lack of wheeking as a sign of anything.
Okay thankyou, this sounds silly but how do I know what they’re ok with and their pace? Are there signs I should look out for?

Hannahb2804

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
HI!

Please use our piggy whispering tips. Setbacks happen but your piggies should come round more quickly after each freak out.
Give them time so their roused prey animal instincts can settle down. that usually takes a day or two. then you start right back in square one but move through the steps more quickly.
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips

Always take a step back when you have pushed too far and restart on a lower level. You will get there faster in the end as they will trust you more quickly. Be however patient; it is more a matter of months for them to settle in fully than a matter of days.

PS: wheeking for food is a learned and not a natural behaviour. Not all piggies will do it, but they generally catch on quickly if they meet food wheekers!
Okay thankyou do you think it’s taken a step back due to new cage set up etc? As it’s the first time it’s changed. Also the rescue I got them mentioned that they wheek so I hope I hear it soon😂they seem to make a little noise when they’re pottering about so I hope it’s a happy one, is hand feeding a good sign? As they seem to take food out my hand already and it’s only been a week

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Taking food from you is absolutely a good sign!
You need to change their bedding, so you really can’t let the fact that it seems to have put them back worry you. Just go back to what you were doing with them and it’ll be fine.