• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

New piggy is still scared of every sound, how should i calm her down?

honeybee<3

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I recently got a new guinea pig, she is very sweet and is doing really well, however, she is scared of the slightest noise. If I even slightly move my foot on the carpet she looks alert or runs back into her hidey. She is completely used to the sound of my voice and she feels safe enough to walk around the cage, popcorn, and eat while i talk to her. She will even eat food from my hand, but the slightest sound of movement outside the cage sends her running.

Is there anything I can do to help her get used to these noises? or is it best to wait it out and see if she gets accustomed to it on her own?

I've only had her for 6 days so she is adjusting quite quickly considering! But its hard to stay silent enough for her to feel comfortable.

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your new piggie.

Settling In And Making Friends With Guinea Pigs - A Guide I think you will find this guide useful. Guinea pigs are prey animals so they can take a long time to settle, you are doing very well after only 6 days. I have a pair of 4 year old boars who still startle easily if anything out of the ordinary happens.

Welcome to the forum.
This is not at all unusual.
I have a newish 6 month old girl who dives for cover at the slightest sound or movement.
Nearly 3 weeks on she will now take food from my hand - more of a snatch then hide.
It takes time and patience for a guinea pig to settle and feel safe.
Talk to her, quietly and gently so she becomes accustomed to your voice.
Offer her nice things like a chunk of cucumber and allow her to take it from your hand in her own time.
They are prey animals and their default position "You're going to eat me!"

Is she alone?
Guinea pigs are naturally social creatures and need companionship of their own kind.

Please do post pics of her.

If she is alone, having a friend could help to relive some of her stress. If she has a friend then scary situations, such as loud noises, become less scary as she’s not alone. All of the advice above is very good so I suggest you follow that. She’s still very new to the house and not used to such noises, leave her to get used to them in her own time.

She is alone so far, but I have plans to get her a friend very soon, I wanted her to feel comfortable in her new home before I introduce them :)
Thanks!

I started off down the quiet route until they were comfortable then turned things up a notch like my voice a little louder, not placing things down on the work tops quite as softly, etc. I kept doing this gradually over a space of time until the pigs are happy and I don't feel like I'm always tiptoeing around. I now do what I want at whatever volume. (Obviously I'm not blaring out music or jumping around screaming) but whatever I want as in typical home life noises. I started off with the hair dryer in the room next door so they could hear it but it wasn't loud now I use it in the same room as them and they're not bothered. Frodo makes nothing of it and Dexter strangely enough gets quite excited :hmm:it makes him zoom around his cage and popcorn. Strange little man!

I’d say carry on as normal, a friend would help! You could cover the majority of the cage with a thin sheet to help relax her then gradually remove it as she gets used to you! It takes along time for them to feel comfortable. 6 days is still very very early xx

Back