• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

New Skinny Pig Owner! Help?

Dystopoly

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So, I made a post very early last week about possibly taking home a female skinny pig if things worked out with my boars in the same room - and everything did! So now I have a beautiful, sweet rescue skinny pig and I want to make absolutely sure she’s getting the best care possible. I’m taking her to the vet for a general check-up this Monday, but I just have a couple skinny pig-specific questions I’ve been wondering about.
I’ve noticed as I’ve been watching her for that she seems to have much more watery eyes than my boys - but has so far shown no other signs of a URI (no sniffles, crusts, or sneezing) and I was wondering if that was maybe a common thing with skinny pigs? I can’t seem to find any information on this anywhere.
I’m doing my best to keep the room they’re in around 72 degrees since I know skinny pigs are prone to getting cold, but once winter rolls around would it be a good idea to get a small animal warming pad, or just focus on soft fleece for her to cuddle in?
Also, I have her on both oxbow vitamin c and multivitamins daily, but are there any other nutritional differences I should know about with skinny pigs? She gets about a cup and a half of veggies in the morning (usually romaine, yellow/green bell peppers, cilantro, and tomato) and has plenty of access to hay and 1/8 cup of oxbow adult GP diet.
If there are any other differences between skinny pig/non skinny pig care that I should know about - please tell me! I’ve done lots of research but I never feel like it’s enough... xD

F14E9C45-71A6-4D45-BD42-1C58060441E3.jpeg

@Flutterby @PigglePuggle are two skinny pigs owners on here by there are
Lots more also so hoping someone with skinny knowledge will be along soon!

Welcome! She is gorgeous!

Everything you are doing sounds fab, I wouldn't worry about heating pads in the winter if your house is sufficiently heated, just offer cosy beds as an extra :)

Her eyes may not be more watery, but as she doesn't have fur the oil they produce to groom themselves will be more visible. It's brill that you are going taking her to the vets for a once over, it never hurts!
Little tip, don't put anything on her skin unless there is a problem diagnosed by a vet, a lot do but it's just not needed :)

Everything else sounds fab! She'll eat and poop a lot more than the other pigs as this is a way of helping regulate her own temperature, more calories means more to burn to keep herself warm.

Hope this helps, please let me know if I can answer anymore questions.

Yes as @Flutterby says everything you are doing sounds fine, just be prepared for the extra eating and pooping!

Our skinny girl is also crazily hyperactive, though I dont know if that's just her or skinny pigs generally. She's a manic chewer, so she always has a cardboard box or a haycube to demolish!

And as @Flutterby says dont believe all that stuff you might read about them needing fancy skincare, they usually have perfect skin and dont need any grooming or messing about with.

Does she have a friend to live with? Our skinny pig was quite choosy about friends (to put it mildly!) But she is now happily married to a silver furry neutered boar.

Mostly they are just like very very hungry guinea pigs, but being always very inbred she might have some charming individual quirks you learn about over time!

And sometimes they dont like being touched much on their naked bits, though they love a face rub or ear tickle as much as any piggy.

Also just to flag up though this might not always be the case, our skinny girl had some unusual reactions to anaesthetic and surgery, so a good piggy vet who is willing to take into account the odd zooped-up skinny pig metabolism is a good idea. Our vets consulted a real piggy expert vet who used to advise on GuineaLynx as none of them had ever met a skinny pig before!

Best of luck she's a beautiful girl!

Yes as @Flutterby says everything you are doing sounds fine, just be prepared for the extra eating and pooping!

Our skinny girl is also crazily hyperactive, though I dont know if that's just her or skinny pigs generally. She's a manic chewer, so she always has a cardboard box or a haycube to demolish!

And as @Flutterby says dont believe all that stuff you might read about them needing fancy skincare, they usually have perfect skin and dont need any grooming or messing about with.

Does she have a friend to live with? Our skinny pig was quite choosy about friends (to put it mildly!) But she is now happily married to a silver furry neutered boar.

Mostly they are just like very very hungry guinea pigs, but being always very inbred she might have some charming individual quirks you learn about over time!

And sometimes they dont like being touched much on their naked bits, though they love a face rub or ear tickle as much as any piggy.

Also just to flag up though this might not always be the case, our skinny girl had some unusual reactions to anaesthetic and surgery, so a good piggy vet who is willing to take into account the odd zooped-up skinny pig metabolism is a good idea. Our vets consulted a real piggy expert vet who used to advise on GuineaLynx as none of them had ever met a skinny pig before!

Best of luck she's a beautiful girl!
Good to know about the skincare! I had some coconut oil on hand, but haven’t put anything on her since she felt pretty smooth and not dry anywhere. I’ll be sure to check with the vet about that!
I’m definitely planning on trying to pair her with another pig - but I’m a little bit worried since she’s supposedly around a year and a half old and has NEVER been around other pigs before. Her previous owners clearly spent a lot of time with her, but I’m a little worried that she wouldn’t know what to do with another pig. How do you usually go about testing out pairs? Just reaching out to an adoption agency and testing them together on neutral territory?

Welcome! She is gorgeous!

Everything you are doing sounds fab, I wouldn't worry about heating pads in the winter if your house is sufficiently heated, just offer cosy beds as an extra :)

Her eyes may not be more watery, but as she doesn't have fur the oil they produce to groom themselves will be more visible. It's brill that you are going taking her to the vets for a once over, it never hurts!
Little tip, don't put anything on her skin unless there is a problem diagnosed by a vet, a lot do but it's just not needed :)

Everything else sounds fab! She'll eat and poop a lot more than the other pigs as this is a way of helping regulate her own temperature, more calories means more to burn to keep herself warm.

Hope this helps, please let me know if I can answer anymore questions.
Oh, I hadn’t thought about that! The oil might be what I’m seeing, it’s just kind of alarming to see her eyes suddenly blink out what looks like a tear. I’m definitely getting her checked up just to be SURE, but that would definitely make sense! I’m planning on buying her some nice fleece houses with replaceable pads to keep her warm and dry in the winter - but I’m just worried about her getting too cold at night. I have an in-room thermometer, but what temperature is considered the lower end of tolerable for skinny pigs?

Good to know about the skincare! I had some coconut oil on hand, but haven’t put anything on her since she felt pretty smooth and not dry anywhere. I’ll be sure to check with the vet about that!
I’m definitely planning on trying to pair her with another pig - but I’m a little bit worried since she’s supposedly around a year and a half old and has NEVER been around other pigs before. Her previous owners clearly spent a lot of time with her, but I’m a little worried that she wouldn’t know what to do with another pig. How do you usually go about testing out pairs? Just reaching out to an adoption agency and testing them together on neutral territory?
I would definitely contact a rescue who is experienced in supervised bondings, that's how our skinny girl Tallullah met her husband. They should bond like any other piggy but if things get aggressive then what would be a warning nip to a furry piggy can do a fair bit of damage to a piggy without a fur coat! But she will definitely be happier with a friend, especially in cold weather she'll need somepig to snuggle up to!

Back