No matter what i do my piggie isnt happy.

Sumi

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello everyone
This is my 2nd time writing on here because I usually tend to ask the vet about everything concerning my piggies.
However, I am starting to become desperate.
I have had my piggies for 3 years now and all this time he was in a cage alone because he didn't get along with my other pig and they had a fight once and got hurt and bit by the other one. Long story short I separated them since then.
My pig always seemed lazy, very calm, and doesn't like moving much since he was a baby he only gets excited and happy once I get him food. That's the only thing that seems to make him happy.
4 months ago I wanted to try again and I adopted another pig and put them together in one cage.
And I put them in a bigger cage but my pig still seems very depressed. It's like no matter what I do he doesn't seem to enjoy life and be happy.
He spends all his time by sleeping eating and staying in one corner. He keeps making crying noises when his cage mate tries to come near him.
I took him to the vet several times and he's healthy nothing wrong with him but he is just never happy. My heart aches and I feel like I failed at giving him a good life. I am so desperate and I need to know what I should do ?please help me.

tabelmabel

Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
First of all, remember that adult pigs can be quite lazy and only activate at the excitement of food - so your interpretation of depression might be a human one, rather than how he is feeling.

If his weight is holding up well, that gives a better idea.

With regard to the cagemate, did he pick that friend for himself from a rescue or have you chosen a pal for him?

I take it it is 2 boars you have there? Is your cage the minimum 5 foot by 2 foot?

Have you tried seperating your pigs but having them be able to see each other through the bars?

See if your pig is actually happier in his own space?

And what about your other pig? Is he lively?

Is your unhappy pig 3yrs old - or older?

Sumi

New Born Pup
Reaction score
First of all, remember that adult pigs can be quite lazy and only activate at the excitement of food - so your interpretation of depression might be a human one, rather than how he is feeling.

If his weight is holding up well, that gives a better idea.

With regard to the cagemate, did he pick that friend for himself from a rescue or have you chosen a pal for him?

I take it it is 2 boars you have there? Is your cage the minimum 5 foot by 2 foot?

Have you tried seperating your pigs but having them be able to see each other through the bars?

See if your pig is actually happier in his own space?

And what about your other pig? Is he lively?

Is your unhappy pig 3yrs old - or older?

Yes he is 3 years old now, the other one i don't know how old he is exactly is only got him 4 months ago but he is also an adult and i found him myself for him he didn't choose him. My other pig is very lively and playful actually. Maybe because he's younger. However he always tries to hump my older pig and he starts making crying noises. Also the space they're in is a huge one.
I am nnow considering separating them :(

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
Mounting and humping is an entirely normal behaviour between two guinea pigs. What you interpret as crying may in fact be submission squeaking which, again, is entirely normal and what you want to happen - submission squeaking is the submissive piggy saying to the dominant piggy that they accept their position and are no threat . Of course we can’t hear or see what is actually going on, but such behaviours are perfectly normal and not a sign of depression at all.

Please do not separate them without being very certain there is a genuine problem between them. They should only be separated if they have had a full on, blood drawing fight, or if there are clear signs of bullying.
Signs of bullying are that the piggy being bullied is constantly chased by the other piggyto the point that he cannot eat or drink, is losing weight consistently due to never being allowed to eat.

Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
Bonds In Trouble

Sumi

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Mounting and humping is an entirely normal behaviour between two guinea pigs. What you interpret as crying may in fact be submission squeaking which, again, is entirely normal and what you want to happen - submission squeaking is the submissive piggy saying to the dominant piggy that they accept their position and are no threat . Of course we can’t hear or see what is actually going on, but such behaviours are perfectly normal and not a sign of depression at all.

Please do not separate them without being very certain there is a genuine problem between them. They should only be separated if they have had a full on, blood drawing fight, or if there are clear signs of bullying.
Signs of bullying are that the piggy being bullied is constantly chased by the other piggyto the point that he cannot eat or drink, is losing weight consistently due to never being allowed to eat.

Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
Bonds In Trouble
They don't have that much of a problem as i can see then.. i am just curios as to why the older one seems to be bored with him always :/

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
They don't have that much of a problem as i can see then.. i am just curios as to why the older one seems to be bored with him always :/

I'm wondering if it is just your human interpretation of the situation. The piggy interpretation could well be very different. He may simply be content. It’s normal for them not to cuddle up together, to seemingly not interact physically. Their interaction is also through smell and sounds, things which us as people can’t always pick up on or understand.

Is he maintaining his weight well?

Sumi

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I'm wondering if it is just your human interpretation of the situation. The piggy interpretation could well be very different. He may simply be content. It’s normal for them not to cuddle up together, to seemingly not interact physically. Their interaction is also through smell and sounds, things which us as people can’t always pick up on or understand.

Is he maintaining his weight well?
Yes his weight is the same. He eats, drinks and poops just the same. It all seems normal.