Nugget Comparison Chart

Piggies&buns

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
any recommendations? which do you think is best suited for pigs
It comes down to budget, availability and what your piggies will eat. My preferred pellet is science selective grainless, but I find it hard to get hold of and it is one of the more expensive, so I use burgess excel mostly and then add in some ss grainless when I can get it. Harrington’s is a popular choice as well.

Coffee the pig

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It comes down to budget, availability and what your piggies will eat. My preferred pellet is science selective grainless, but I find it hard to get hold of and it is one of the more expensive, so I use burgess excel mostly and then add in some ss grainless when I can get it. Harrington’s is a popular choice as well.
ok thanks, I'll get some soon😁

Betsy

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Mine love Harrington's nuggets too. Velvet would eat them all day and night if I let her!

dannif_piggies

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Mine have science selective grainless but as mentioned above they can be quite expensive, I tend to stock up whenever I spend £20 on Amazon prime items as they are an add-on item and a bit cheaper than pets at home for example

Flutterby

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
Yes it is all down to what suits you, your pigs and your budget. I have 17 pigs at the moment so a 10kg sack of Harringtons is good for me and mine.

dannif_piggies

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Yes it is all down to what suits you, your pigs and your budget. I have 17 pigs at the moment so a 10kg sack of Harringtons is good for me and mine.
Absolute dream you're living with 17 pigs, well maybe a nightmare at time but would love the space for this many, maybe when I have my own place 🤣🤣

greathat

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Researching before I get piggies. I'm not really understanding the charts well enough. Is there a lot of difference between the burgess and tesco own pellets? They seem to be my two most obvious options

Piggies&buns

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Researching before I get piggies. I'm not really understanding the charts well enough. Is there a lot of difference between the burgess and tesco own pellets? They seem to be my two most obvious options
Going on the chart, then no there isn’t a lot of difference. If it comes down to choice of those two though and the cost difference isn’t an issue, then I would go with burgess rather than Tesco. Simply because Tesco main ingredient is wheatfeed. Burgess main is grass. Cereals such as wheat etc are not particularly good for them so a pellet based on hay is the better choice.

Julesie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I’m not very good with sciency stuff but I feed my lot either Burgess excel (Blackcurrent and oregano) or science selective.

Which of these two is the better one? I wasn’t sure but my lot briefly went off of the burgess which was why I gave them science selective as an alternative.

Piggies&buns

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I’m not very good with sciency stuff but I feed my lot either Burgess excel (Blackcurrent and oregano) or science selective.

Which of these two is the better one? I wasn’t sure but my lot briefly went off of the burgess which was why I gave them science selective as an alternative.
The numbers are fairly similar on those two brands by the looks of it.
The thing that puts me off about the normal science selective is the fact that they are alfalfa based according to the chart. The science selective grain free and burgess are my personal preference. Both are hay/grass based but the SS grain free, in my opinion, are better because they, well, are grain free!

Julesie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
The numbers are fairly similar on those two brands by the looks of it.
The thing that puts me off about the normal science selective is the fact that they are alfalfa based according to the chart. The science selective grain free and burgess are my personal preference. Both are hay/grass based but the SS grain free, in my opinion, are better because they, well, are grain free!
Where can you get the grain free one?
I may stick to the burgesss in the meantime. Thank you for answering :)

anyar.dris

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score

Piggies&buns

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with burgess, so don’t worry.
Some pet shops (pets at home and pets corner stores) sell the grain free and it is available as an add on item on amazon (got to spend £20 on other items to get it though). I struggle to get hold of it in my local shops.

Julesie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
You can get Selective Naturals Grain Free one from Pets At Home or even any online petshops. The cheapest I've seen is this Supreme Science Selective Naturals Grain Free Guinea Pig 1.5kg plus £2.99 shipping fee.
Thank you :)
There is nothing wrong with burgess, so don’t worry.
Some pet shops (pets at home and pets corner stores) sell the grain free and it is available as an add on item on amazon (got to spend £20 on other items to get it though). I struggle to get hold of it in my local shops.
that’s a relief. Thank you :)

dannif_piggies

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I use the selective science grain free pellets, for the two main reasons of them being grain free and Timothy hay based. Mine absolutely love these and know it's their breakfast so each morning I get wheeking as soon as they know I'm awake 😂 I usually stick up and buy it as an add on item when I am spending on Amazon, but as mentioned above it's sold in pets and home for about £1 more

Flutterby

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much about grain free if your piggy isn't prone to bladder problems etc, as it is such a small part of their diet. Stick with Low calcium, high in fibre and a grass/hay first ingredient and you can't go wrong x

greathat

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I was looking at the burgess one on amazon. says its got mint in it, is that ok?