Nugget Comparison Chart

D

Dm130719

love the chart - will be useful for an "at a glance" comparison.... can i be a pain though- would it be possible to have the prices per bag also as the first table? Its just if the prices are the same as yours then it saves having to work out the price per kilo each time.

is it the Wagg pellets in Wilko too?

this is some of the info for the Wagg pellets
  • Protein 16.5%
  • Fat Content 6%
  • Crude Fibre 9%
  • Crude Ash 4.5%
Additives (Per Kg)
Nutritional Additives: Vitamin A 20,000 iu, Vitamin D3 1,200 iu, Vitamin E (alpha tocopherol acetate) 40 mg, Vitamin C (ascorbyl monophosphate) 200 mg, Iron lll Ferric Oxide 260 mg, Zinc Chelate of Amino Acid Hydrate 60 mg, Manganous Oxide 17 mg, Zinc Oxide 12 mg, Cupric Sulphate Pentahydrate 9 mg, Iron Sulphate Monohydrate 7 mg, Calcium Iodate Anhydrous 0.9 mg. *Colourants, Antioxidant. *Colourants – from a mineral source found in nature.
Ah.. i used to feed them

amy104

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I use science selective as I like the shape - it stops my greedy boards guzzling them down.

RoxyGuineaPigLover

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I don’t live in the UK 😅 do y’all really feed your guinea pigs nuggets or am I all wrong? Maybe they’re not the chicken nuggets we have here in the US...?

AlexPiggy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Can anyone help me compare the Sainsburys pellets? From what I can understand online they look alright but I don't know how to work out how much calcium there is- and they're quite cheap so I'd be interested to know if they're a good option or not! Screenshot_2019-10-26-14-44-58.pngScreenshot_2019-10-26-14-44-47.png

dannif_piggies

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I don’t live in the UK 😅 do y’all really feed your guinea pigs nuggets or am I all wrong? Maybe they’re not the chicken nuggets we have here in the US...?
Nuggets is another word for pellet food, not chicken nuggets this time unfortunately 😂

Valdareee

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, Firstly I would like to say thank you to everyone on this forum. You are a wealth of fantastic information.
I have just started feeding HayBox Timothy Hay which my four girls love. I noticed on their site they make their own pellets so I contacted them for more ingredients. I would really like your opinion on these pellets and perhaps add them to your chart. They haven’t been fortified with Vitamin C. Here is the information they provided :

Permanent meadows (timothy, meadow fescue, meadow foxtail, ryegrass, red fescue, blue grass, cocksfoot, velvet grass, annual panicle grass, white ragweed, vernal grass, couch grass, tussock grass, reed canary grass, white clover, red clover, dandelion leaves, yarrow herb, ribwort, caraway, cow parsley, meadow sweet, common hornwort, bedstraw, thyme-leaved speedwell, bush vetch, comfrey, bedstraw-meadow thistle, ground ivy, daisies, germander speedwell, lady's mantle, greater burnet-saxifrage, narrow-leaved vetch, meadow saxifrage, spring cinquefoil, green field-speedwell, common whitlow-grass, autumn dandelion, red ragweed, cowslip, small clover), sunflower seed extracted, linseed extracted, fruit pomace, carrot pomace, wheat bran, rape seed extracted
Analytical constituents:
crude protein 13% · crude oils and crude fats 2,7% · crude fibre 21% · starch 6% · crude ash 8,5% · calcium 0,6% · phosphorous 0,4% · sodium 0,18%

evew20

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So after looking at the different foods available and finding that the information is spread all over the place I have started to compile a spreadsheet of the nuggets available here in the UK (and most in other countries). I am still gathering information but I have put the basics into a spreadsheet so that they can all be compared together.

If there is anything else you think I could add to the spread sheet, please let me know, or if you have any info about the blank spaces I'd be grateful too! Here it is so far.

could you please tell me the food you use? i’m new and i rather someone tell me what food they thinks the best!( nuggets and hay , pellets and hay or just hay )!

KHBz

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, Firstly I would like to say thank you to everyone on this forum. You are a wealth of fantastic information.
I have just started feeding HayBox Timothy Hay which my four girls love. I noticed on their site they make their own pellets so I contacted them for more ingredients. I would really like your opinion on these pellets and perhaps add them to your chart. They haven’t been fortified with Vitamin C. Here is the information they provided :

Permanent meadows (timothy, meadow fescue, meadow foxtail, ryegrass, red fescue, blue grass, cocksfoot, velvet grass, annual panicle grass, white ragweed, vernal grass, couch grass, tussock grass, reed canary grass, white clover, red clover, dandelion leaves, yarrow herb, ribwort, caraway, cow parsley, meadow sweet, common hornwort, bedstraw, thyme-leaved speedwell, bush vetch, comfrey, bedstraw-meadow thistle, ground ivy, daisies, germander speedwell, lady's mantle, greater burnet-saxifrage, narrow-leaved vetch, meadow saxifrage, spring cinquefoil, green field-speedwell, common whitlow-grass, autumn dandelion, red ragweed, cowslip, small clover), sunflower seed extracted, linseed extracted, fruit pomace, carrot pomace, wheat bran, rape seed extracted
Analytical constituents:
crude protein 13% · crude oils and crude fats 2,7% · crude fibre 21% · starch 6% · crude ash 8,5% · calcium 0,6% · phosphorous 0,4% · sodium 0,18%
I'm rather late to this thread, but I don't think there has been a response to your question about the HayBox pellets so I did want to say that my 2 piggies just would. not. touch them. Not at all. I kept trying them with them and I mixed them in with their Burgess nuggets, but not even in desperation would they eat them. I eventually found a rabbit owner who was willing to take the practically full bag of guinea-pig nuggets off my hands. That was our experience of them. I still feed our piggies the Burgess Excel, which they love and wheek for, but think I should probably change to the Science Selective because of the lower calcium content in those (I think).

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
could you please tell me the food you use? i’m new and i rather someone tell me what food they thinks the best!( nuggets and hay , pellets and hay or just hay )!
Getting Started - New Owners' Most Helpful Guides

Hi
I’ve linked the new owners guides above. All piggies need a dust off minimum 80% hay. The other 20% is made up of pellets and fresh veggies. Please have a good read of the guides I have linked above.

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I only use Gerty as a treat
Ok, you might want to consider other treats though I know many members feed pea flakes as a treat. Good treats for piggies include:
Fresh grass
Dandelions (and other weeds, there is a post here somewhere with guinea pig safe weeds listed)
Fruit/veg
Forage feeds

Elthysia

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score

Analytical constituents:
I was about to post the same as I just asked them too. Have you bought them and do your pigs like them? They are £5,95 for 1,5kg so pretty good high protein and fibre and low calcium?