• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

One Social Piggy, And A Nervous One

SilverC

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the guinea pig world, and only got my piggies this weekend.

They're two boars, called Copper and Butterbean (Butters for short), and they're new both to us and to each other - so a big change for everyone. Copper had another cage mate who unfortunately passed away, and Butters was in a cage with 3 other guinea pigs.

It's day 4, and Copper seems to deal surprisingly well with being here with us. Both yesterday and today after we handled them, he's zoomed around the cage and jumped up seeming happy. On my partner's lap today he was making happy sounds and eating a carrot quiet relaxed.

Our second piggie Butters doesn't seem as happy. He's shyer, and maybe more clever and not as trusting as Copper? He doesn't relax when he's sat with us. Today he at least started moving around on my lap rather than just sitting still really scared :/.

I wanted to ask for your advice with Butters. Do we continue handling him every evening like we do with Copper or do we give him a few days to relax without our scary hands? It doesn't feel like the right approach to not keep handling him either, but I don't want him to be petrified.

We've also noticed that he seems to get agitated in the cage when Copper zooms about, but I don't think we can intervene there... I think Butters will be the dominant one of the two.

Any advice is welcome! I reckon these two have very different personalities...

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the guinea pig world, and only got my piggies this weekend.

They're two boars, called Copper and Butterbean (Butters for short), and they're new both to us and to each other - so a big change for everyone. Copper had another cage mate who unfortunately passed away, and Butters was in a cage with 3 other guinea pigs.

It's day 4, and Copper seems to deal surprisingly well with being here with us. Both yesterday and today after we handled them, he's zoomed around the cage and jumped up seeming happy. On my partner's lap today he was making happy sounds and eating a carrot quiet relaxed.

Our second piggie Butters doesn't seem as happy. He's shyer, and maybe more clever and not as trusting as Copper? He doesn't relax when he's sat with us. Today he at least started moving around on my lap rather than just sitting still really scared :/.

I wanted to ask for your advice with Butters. Do we continue handling him every evening like we do with Copper or do we give him a few days to relax without our scary hands? It doesn't feel like the right approach to not keep handling him either, but I don't want him to be petrified.

We've also noticed that he seems to get agitated in the cage when Copper zooms about, but I don't think we can intervene there... I think Butters will be the dominant one of the two.

Any advice is welcome! I reckon these two have very different personalities...

Thanks!

Hi and welcome

Please take the time to read these guides here; you will find them very interesting as they contain lots of practical tips and help you make friends with your piggies in ways that they instinctively understand. It is always much easier when somebody speaks your language than expecting you to figure out theirs!
Guinea pigs are prey animals; they are not born animated cuddly toys. Shop and for sale breeder piggies have had virtually no friendly human interaction when being sold as pets and brought into a completely strange and potentially hostile environment. They are usually running on their instincts.

Take the time to start building up trust by avoiding predatory behaviours and triggering their instincts. Give them time to settle in. Start picking them up when they take food of your hands; that means that they have started to trust you.
Turn your daily actions into rituals so they can learn to make sense and anticipate, and find their new life no longer a s frightening and confusing. You'll always have a more forward and a more timid one; it is often the underpiggy that is the more courageous one.

How Do I Settle Shy New Guinea Pigs?
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig

Here is our new owners' guide collection. We are addressing all the areas we get regularly questions about and have added aspects and resources that many new owners are not aware of, but that can save them lots of trouble down the line if they can prepare. Getting Started - New Owners' Most Helpful Guides

How Do I Settle Shy New Guinea Pigs?

Back