Opinions On This Diet?

Kevin_Haae

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So i researched a lot about foods that guinea pigs can eat and should only have selectively, as well as the amount of calcium etc to look at. I was wondering what you guys thought of this diet i've been giving my piggies, as they seem to love it. It's for 2 pigs.

so each day i've been giving them:
2 (very small) baby carrots, sliced up
half a handful of romaine lettuce, diced
3 spinach leaves, diced
1 celery stick, sliced.

and they seem to, of course, love it. I know carrots have a bit of sugar in them, but considering nothing else they're eating has high sugar, i hope it's alright? the devour the entire bowl a day and they eat it alongside their hay and pellets because they're very hungry little piggies.

I sadly don't have a scale to weigh the amount of stuff i give them, but I can generally guess the amounts I'm giving them for this little salad and keep it consistent.

I also don't give them treats that often, but treats I do give them include apples, banana, and oats, but that's only once every few weeks. so I'm not super worried about the sugar content, but would still like opinions

the only thing I'm truly worried about is the calcium, since i heard it can cause bladder stones. I've watched my piggies poops carefully as i tested each ingredient individually over the course of days, and of course watched after they ate a bowl, and thankfully they aren't having any big changes in bowl movements despite the high water content in the foods.

so, opinions?

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Morning! The carrots, spinach and romaine lettuce shouldn’t be fed daily. Carrots should be given as the occasional treat. Spinach is high in calcium so should be fed sparingly. I’m not sure on the lettuce. You can feed coriander, pepper, sweetcorn and John

Kevin_Haae

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Morning! The carrots, spinach and romaine lettuce shouldn’t be fed daily. Carrots should be given as the occasional treat. Spinach is high in calcium so should be fed sparingly. I’m not sure on the lettuce. You can feed coriander, pepper, sweetcorn and John
ah? are all those foods that you can feed them on the daily? I had a hard time actually finding veggies that can be fed every day. I saw some people say spinach is great for them and they can eat it every day, and others said weekly, and some said not at all, so i'm a bit confused on what I should do with it. They don't eat any other high calcium foods as far as I know, so I thought it'd be okay. I'll try finding some other veggies that can be fed daily then to replace the ones I'm doing currently

Kevin_Haae

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
This is the best thread to reference to....

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

Daily veg include...

A small piece of spring green
1 dwarf bean / green bean
Cucumber
Celery
Bell pepper
Coriander or dill
thank you, I try my best to read the posts but a lot of them are very long and I have ADHD so it makes it quite difficult to actually sit down and read large portions of text. I appreciate the recommendations! I'll switch over to giving them cucumber, bell pepper, and celery every day!

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I hope my post wasn’t too long @Kevin_Haae i wrote it when I got back from a night shift so don’t know if it was legible...was sleepy

*kate*

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Daily mine have:-

Salad leaves
kale
spinach
peashoots
basil
coriander
parsley
cucumber
pepper
carrot
blueberries
grapes
celery

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Over a week mine will get a mix of salad leaves, spinach, celery, parsley, dill, cucumber, pak choi and occasionally in a month apple and carrot.

It can be confusing trying to make sense of all the advice given in different places and guinea pigs eat pretty much anything you give them.
They’re just cute furry appetites