• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Orange Pee , Uti?

Osidian

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi,
My guinea pig had an orange pee today. And make some sounds while stand still (I'll guess is pain wen he is peeing). I can't get a vet today or tomorrow because is Christmas. And they are all closed.
Best chance will be Tuesday the 26 in the morning!

What can i do to help him, and make him more comfortable.
Plus what signs should I be looking for
tonight and tomorrow, till I have an appointment in the vet.
I will look again online but I really think there is no vets till the 26.

Some info: guinea pig is male. Have 3 years. Till date only was sick once, this year in September, had a ear infection that got worse and become a respiratory infections. Had antibiotics and pro biotics. Was really complicate. And since then his flora never been the same. Still can't have vegetables. Or will create gas and soft poo.
Have only some pepper once a day for vitamin c.

Thanks everyone !

Oh dear timing is unfortunate.
I keep a carton of cranberry juice light without added sugar in the cupboard for such emergencies (and me included) you can syringe feed your guinea pig the cranberry juice, you probably still have time to go to the shops and get some if you don't have any.
Additionally you can buy vitamin C chewable tablets - Oxbow to ensure your piggies gets enough if you are concerned.

Good luck.

Hello, welcome to the forum sorry to hear this :(

More than likely a UTI that will need antibiotic to clear u. Septrin is normally really good for clearing UTI and less harsh on the guts than baytril. Where are you located we may be able recommend a vet for you? I would expect the vet to prescribe metacam too for pain and inflammation

About the cranberry juice. Just run all the shops that are open. But all of them have sugar or sweetener.

I still have some metacam 1.5 mg/'ll for dogs. From his last ear infection. And is still good.
Should I start him on that? And what would be the dose. He have 1260 kg

I live in glasgow. And I was checking and his vet will be closed on 26 of December too.

Was looking for a diferent vet now. But I had bad expirience before with a diferent vet. They didn't know what they were doing with guinea pigs.

Hello, welcome to the forum sorry to hear this :(

More than likely a UTI that will need antibiotic to clear you. Septrin is normally really good for clearing UTI and less harsh on the guts than baytril. Where are you located we may be able recommend a vet for you? I would expect the vet to prescribe metacam too for pain and inflammation

Hi,
Should I start giving him metacam?
I still have from last September.
The vet is close the 26 too, I am concerned that only gonna have a vet on the 27 of December!
Any more advice of what I should do now ?

Heruns around the house normaly and looks in a good mood. But from time to time starts doing a lot of noise and stand still. I put him back in his cage now, and his pee was redish and kind of thick.
Plus he didn't pee all at once. Maybe because of the pain?

Thank you for the help.

Hi,
Should I start giving him metacam?
I still have from last September.
The vet is close the 26 too, I am concerned that only gonna have a vet on the 27 of December!
Any more advice of what I should do now ?

Heruns around the house normaly and looks in a good mood. But from time to time starts doing a lot of noise and stand still. I put him back in his cage now, and his pee was redish and kind of thick.
Plus he didn't pee all at once. Maybe because of the pain?

Thank you for the help.

Metacam has a shelf life of 6 months. Is he a similar weight to when it was prescribed as I would go with the last dosage you were told for him. Keep an eye on his pee's because if he becomes unable to pass urine he could have a stone blocking his urethra and would need an emergency vet

Agree with Kelly above.

• Taylor Vet practice
    Laura Cawley
    Smithy House
    East Kilbride Road, Cathkin
    Glasgow, Strathclyde G735QU
    www.taylorvets.co.uk/

• Taylor Vet Practice
    Laura Cawley
    Clarkston Toll Surgery
    5 Helena Place, Clarkson
    Glasgow, Strathclyde G76 7RB
    0141 638606
    www.taylorvets.co.uk/

• Taylor Vet Practice
    Laura Cawley
    East Kilbride Surgery
    102 Main Street, east kilbride
    Glasgow, Strathclyde G744JY
    01355 222791
    www.taylorvets.co.uk/
Vets for you above. Sending him lots of love and vibes x

Agree with Kelly above.

• Taylor Vet practice
    Laura Cawley
    Smithy House
    East Kilbride Road, Cathkin
    Glasgow, Strathclyde G735QU
    www.taylorvets.co.uk/

• Taylor Vet Practice
    Laura Cawley
    Clarkston Toll Surgery
    5 Helena Place, Clarkson
    Glasgow, Strathclyde G76 7RB
    0141 638606
    www.taylorvets.co.uk/

• Taylor Vet Practice
    Laura Cawley
    East Kilbride Surgery
    102 Main Street, east kilbride
    Glasgow, Strathclyde G744JY
    01355 222791
    www.taylorvets.co.uk/
Vets for you above. Sending him lots of love and vibes x
Hi,
That is actuality his vet. They have those 3 stores.
But unfortunately they are all closed today and tomorrow.
I started him on metacam as I had at home.
Tomorrow the shops will be open so I can get some cranberry juice to see if it helps.
And wendsday 27 I'll go to the vet 1 thing in the morning.

Best of luck to you and your piggy and the vets, and well done for trying everything you can :)

Update:
Elvis just return from the vet. Is going to start septrin 0.7 once a day.
I started him on pro-lapis 2 days ago. And is on metacam already for 2 days.
Hope I'll see improvements on him with the antibiotic.

No x-ray taken as they don't do with him awake.

Update:
Elvis just return from the vet. Is going to start septrin 0.7 once a day.
I started him on pro-lapis 2 days ago. And is on metacam already for 2 days.
Hope I'll see improvements on him with the antibiotic.

No x-ray taken as they don't do with him awake.

That is good stuff. hopefully it will help. Ask the vet if they can give a whiff of gas for xray perhaps? So it is not a full GA they are just lightly sedated, our vet does this for xrays

That is good stuff. hopefully it will help. Ask the vet if they can give a whiff of gas for xray perhaps? So it is not a full GA they are just lightly sedated, our vet does this for xrays

Elvis is o his 4th day of septrin. Still not getti g better. He went to the vet and we manage to have a x ray without anaesthetic. Was no signs of stones. But his bladder was really big. So the vet think is a infection.
Last 2 days he is having pain pooping and peeing, and still have blood wen pee. And today is a bit sad and I need to feed him.

Any ideas are we missing something ?

Not likely to affecte the bladder problems, but a pro/pre biotic would probabaly help the poo problems Protexin Fibreplex For Rabbits - 15ml Syringe - Animed Direct
Hi,
I started him on the pro-biotic before the antibiotic . He is having bio lapis for rabbits .
Elvis never been the same since he had antibiotic in September for a ear infection. So we always have pro biotics at home because he need to take pro-biotic quiet often. I have bio lapis and fibreplex. I never manage to introduce him to vegetables since September. Only peppers and some Apple here and there, timothy hay and oxbow pallets, that is his diet since September.
This time his pain pooping looks like is connected with the bladder problem, and that is scaring me.

Elvis is on his 6th day of antibiotic and keeps peeing blood could that still be normal for a infection ?
The x ray dosent show any stone.

Even this post is not having any more views. I'll update just someone with same problems may find it informative.

Elvis did 9 days of antibiotic.
X ray didn't show any stone only that his bladder was big.
The blood on his urine never stoped. And started had pain pooping as well.
Went today to the vet on his 10th day of antibiotic and got a scan. Scans are very difficult on guinea pigs because they have many gas. But the vet could see his bladder for seconds and usually is all black, but show that the walls are thick and looks that is something around.
Not likely to be a stone since was not visible on the x ray. And probably is a tumor.
Still decided go with surgery because he is in pain and crying at home. 99% will be a tumor and if so he will be put to sleep.
Is hard to decide it but he was crying and peeing blood every day , was going downhill really fast and loosing weight.
I am still waiting the vet call to know how it went.
And I can't lie that still keep my hopes for a miracle. Even after say goodbye to him.

Thanks for everyone who reply and tried to help.

Even this post is not having any more views. I'll update just someone with same problems may find it informative.

Elvis did 9 days of antibiotic.
X ray didn't show any stone only that his bladder was big.
The blood on his urine never stoped. And started had pain pooping as well.
Went today to the vet on his 10th day of antibiotic and got a scan. Scans are very difficult on guinea pigs because they have many gas. But the vet could see his bladder for seconds and usually is all black, but show that the walls are thick and looks that is something around.
Not likely to be a stone since was not visible on the x ray. And probably is a tumor.
Still decided go with surgery because he is in pain and crying at home. 99% will be a tumor and if so he will be put to sleep.
Is hard to decide it but he was crying and peeing blood every day , was going downhill really fast and loosing weight.
I am still waiting the vet call to know how it went.
And I can't lie that still keep my hopes for a miracle. Even after say goodbye to him.

Thanks for everyone who reply and tried to help.

Sorry to hear this :( Is he having an operation at the moment? The waiting is the worst time. Huge hugs

Sorry to hear this :( Is he having an operation at the moment? The waiting is the worst time. Huge hugs
The waiting was the worst feelings all mix.
So Elvis have some good and bad news. So he had a really big stone that was removed. And is now on his way home.
Cant explain how happy I am to see him once again.
Bad news is that his bladder was not looking completely normal and it may have some tumor actually growing. But the vet was not able to co firm. Just says it doesn't look 100% normal but could be just the big stone that was deforming the bladder. Or or small growing tumor that kept the calcium there. One or the other.
But for now he is back home with more metacam and antibiotic for recover.

Hopefully he will have some peace for now.

Back