• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Our Guinea Pig Nibbled Off Bit Of Iphone Cable: Ok?

Lilythepig2017

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So we have a designated safe area for the guinea pig to run around. My husband though left a iPhone cable by accident on the floor (unplugged). She ate some of the plastic off of it and he felt awful. Not the wire fibers. How bad is this? Will the plastic she infested be dangerous to her? She just ate 1/4 inch or 1/8 inch of a tiny bit of plastic off it on one side. How common is this? She seems fine. Is this an emergency or will she be ok?

Thanks

Try not to worry- guinea pigs often eat things they shouldn't. My boar Mo for example managed to eat a plastic bag (not the whole thing mind). I would observe her closely and just check that she's still eating/drinking and urinating. If that is the case and remains to be the case it's likely the plastic will merely pass through her gut etc. However, if she does stop doing any of the above I would see a vet just to check it hasn't caused a blockage- though from the amount you mention I'm sure she'll be fine.

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I hope she’s ok. That’s good to know your ate a bag :). Here is a pic of what she ate:

53EC775D-FF49-44C0-83EB-D025FE09AD23.jpeg

Yes I'm sure she'll be fine -it does look a very small amount in comparison to the chunk of bag my Mo ate :lol!: but of course any worries you can always see a vet. And you're welcome- I know how worried I was when it happened! :)

I know! My husband keeps saying she will be fine but I can’t help worry. But yes in comparison to a bag... lol.

I just hope if she ate those little metal hair like fibers under the plastic it’s ok as well.

Are their system fairly fast? I.e will it show if it’s blocked or not within next 12 hours or less? It seems they eat and then poo in minutes so I’m assuming I should know rather quick? :D

As it’s already been mentioned, don’t worry but keep an eye on your lil piggy ;) We’ve had telephone cables and tv aerial cables chomped in the past. The look on the piggies faces when we move the said cables or blokes them off was like “awe dad, but whee was having fun!” Little munchkins... :lol!:

Haha mischievous little piggies! One of mine once ate the rubber bit of a dustpan left too close to their cage... I don't know which one but all four were fine :lol!: Piggy metabolism is fairly fast so I would expect to see any signs that something isn't right in around a day or two

the same here... :lol!: done in only few seconds...:bal:
100_8326.JPG
and my piggies ate also a lot of plastic, that is the correx and the plastic mesh of their cage on which they built and are still building large panoramic windows...:roll:
Do not worry at all :) at least for the plastic ingested (which maybe they don't even ingest)

Keep an eye to make sure your piggie is pooping normally, but in all likelihood she will be just fine. My pigs have eaten non-food items before... carpet fibers, part of the hay bag when my kids left it too close to the bars, once part of a hair elastic that my daughter dropped. They were always fine. Hope this helps a bit!

Well she is ok! :D she is pooping up a storm, eating, playing normally. Phew. What a relief!

Back