• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Persistent biting?

MintyChocolate

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi guys, so i don't know what to do! Our new guinea pig keeps biting. He is around 6 months old but we have had him for a little while, he seems to have settled in. He eagerly takes food and likes to run around the problem arises when a hand comes near him. he sniffs it then bites, OK so maybe he thinks its food? but then he does not let go! In fact he proceeds to bite harder. If i am feeding him then at times he chooses to ignore food in favour of my hand. Now while he does bite hard he has yet to draw blood. I really don't now why he is acting like this. I have been bitten by piggies before but only on accident and they normally let go once they realise their mistake.
The only thing i can possibly think of is that he is temporarily living alone until he is neutered later this month, could that be a possible explanation? I really don't know.

Hi guys, so i don't know what to do! Our new guinea pig keeps biting. He is around 6 months old but we have had him for a little while, he seems to have settled in. He eagerly takes food and likes to run around the problem arises when a hand comes near him. he sniffs it then bites, OK so maybe he thinks its food? but then he does not let go! In fact he proceeds to bite harder. If i am feeding him then at times he chooses to ignore food in favour of my hand. Now while he does bite hard he has yet to draw blood. I really don't now why he is acting like this. I have been bitten by piggies before but only on accident and they normally let go once they realise their mistake.
The only thing i can possibly think of is that he is temporarily living alone until he is neutered later this month, could that be a possible explanation? I really don't know.

Hi!

Please take the time to read this guide here: " Biting" And What You Can Do

If you assert your dominance in a friendly way (always start and stop with friendly overtures), you should have no problems with tweaking because as a super-piggy you can then make it clear to him that you do not appreciate tweaking. if he is an only piggy, he is likely playing dominance games with you, especially during the teenage months as guinea pigs live in a hierarchical society.
Our piggy whispering guide will show you how to go about it in ways that he instinctively understands.
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips

Hi!

Please take the time to read this guide here: " Biting" And What You Can Do

If you assert your dominance in a friendly way (always start and stop with friendly overtures), you should have no problems with tweaking because as a super-piggy you can then make it clear to him that you do not appreciate tweaking. if he is an only piggy, he is playing dominance games with you, especially during the teenage months as guinea pigs live in a hierarchical society.
Our piggy whispering guide will show you how to go about it in ways that he instinctively understands.
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips
Thank you! Its great to finally have a solution!

Back