• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Pig won't stop squeaking

bisky2017

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My guinea pig Bisky (3 and a half years old) has had some kidney issues this past year. She's had some UTI's and has been on antibiotics, and most recently, probiotics to aid her gut health.

She's always been a squeaky pig, but as soon as we got her off the probiotic she's been squeaking bloody murder non-stop, all day, every day.

She starts around 9:30 AM so this goes on for roughly 14 hours a day almost non-stop except for when she's eating or sleeping. Before the medication, she used to squeak for snacks a few times a day, and stop once we've given her something. But now she gets extremely loud and squeaks erratically at all times.

I've been giving her fresh hay, water, snacks, pellets, spend more time with her, clean her cage, etc. 3x as often as I normally would every day...but she just won't stop. No matter how many snacks or rubs I give her, or literally anything I do, her squeaking is insatiable. It has been extremely stressful. I just do not know what to do anymore.

She has a vet appointment on Monday but I have a feeling he will not see her behavior. Whenever we leave the house Bisky is usually quiet and curious of her surroundings.

Has anyone ever had a supremely loud-pitched, squeaky pig and how have you helped them? Bisky is the first guinea pig I've ever owned, so your patience and guidance is much appreciated🌸

:agr: If she is alone and doesn’t live with another piggy, then she will be trying to communicate with you to get her needs met. They are highly social herd animals and need to always be kept with another guinea pig

Thank you for the feedback, unfortunately she is an only pig. We have a very small shared apartment and cannot afford to get a bigger place (and bigger cage) for a second one. The past 3.5 years have been good and she's been just fine but these past 2 weeks have been difficult. Many thanks again for the comment

I’m afraid if you’re planning to keep her alone for the next 3-4 years that is not fair on her. They’re highly social and need companionship of their own kind. That is in fact one of their welfare rights.

Two sows need 120x60cm. That’s goes for a single sow as well. They need space to run around and for their own good. Can you not fit in a cage that size in your apartment?

It’s not what you want to hear, but if you can’t provide that for her then the best thing to do is to surrender her to a rescue so she can have the company they really need. No amount of human interaction can replace it.

Yes, The welfare standard of minimum cage size for a single piggy and that for two sows is exactly the same - as siikibam has said 120cm x 60cm - so provided your piggy has that minimum cage size now, then you don’t need a new cage to get her a friend.

The only thing I can suggest is that you film her squeaky behaviour a couple of times to show the vet... they never want to 'perform' on cue! I had to photo a huge sticky clag of poop yesterday (my older boar is 'impacted' - basically getting bunged up every day) so I was thinking, "I bet he'll be clear on vet day - I'll take some evidence". My teen saw what I was doing and said, "New Screensaver..?" in only a half-sarcastic way!

The above are right, of course, she would no doubt love some company. Rescues in the UK usually have a glut of lone, neutered boars desperate to find a female companion... maybe it's the same in the US? (Don't know whether you are Boston, Lincs here or Boston, Mass there ☺ ) Good Luck!

Back