• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Piggies From Breeders?

rinlalin

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hello all! it's me again, bootsy's loving momma! i'm here to talk about his new buddy i'm getting.

i looked up some guinea pig breeders/rescues near me and found this lovely litter of baby show piggies!

do you guys think breeders are a humane place to get piggies from?

the piggies i'm going to are fair priced and look super happy in the photos. i just wanted everyone's opinions about breeders. obviously, i know they're better than pet store pigs because breeders that supply pet shops force girls to get pregnant over and over again to supply the guineas.

EDITED BY MODERATOR

thanks in advance! much love.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pet shops get their stock from breeders, so you're probably going straight to the source. That's not to say all breeders don't care about their pigs, but as you're asking whether getting pigs from a breeder are humane, it's highly unlikely. Breeders produce for profit and only a select few babies will make the show grade.

You were only asking an innocent question. :) I believe the reason I gave above is why most would advise against breeders.

Pet shops get their stock from breeders, so you're probably going straight to the source. That's not to say all breeders don't care about their pigs, but as you're asking whether getting pigs from a breeder are humane, it's highly unlikely. Breeders produce for profit and only a select few babies will make the show grade.

thanks for the input! i'm just trying to get pigs from the best source. i know rescues are the absolute best, but there are really none around here. i appreciate the advice.

You were only asking an innocent question. :) I believe the reason I gave above is why most would advise against breeders.

thanks so much again! do you know how i can delete this post just so no one is bothered by it?

You'll have to ask one of the moderators, I think. @sport_billy might be the best one to help, but you're not the first to ask and you won't be the last, so don't worry. :)

If you have no choice and if your pig is lonely, then it'd be better for him to have a friend than none at all. We can only make the best of our circumstances! However, not all pigs get on with all pigs; you'd be best off reading the Bonding and Behaviour section of the forum before getting a companion for Bootsy. :)

Hi @rinlalin no need to remove your post, you asked a genuine question which needed an answer. I have edited your post as we do not discuss intentional breeding or showing on the forum.
I disagree with the statement that rescue is best and that breeders are better than pet shops. Certainly in the UK absolutely anyone can set up a "rescue" or call themselves a breeder and there are a number of breeders who will breed back to back. Yet there are some pet stores that try to be more ethical so it really is down to the individual running the place. This is why we only include some rescues on our locator, those that meet a high standard in care and rehoming policies.

If you want to ensure you are buying from someone more ethical then I would ask to see their set up, ask if you can visit so you can see the care, cleanliness and size of cages and then ask anything that may concern you such as how many litters and what happens to the sows when they have "finished producing stock"

Hi @rinlalin no need to remove your post, you asked a genuine question which needed an answer. I have edited your post as we do not discuss intentional breeding or showing on the forum.
I disagree with the statement that rescue is best and that breeders are better than pet shops. Certainly in the UK absolutely anyone can set up a "rescue" or call themselves a breeder and there are a number of breeders who will breed back to back. Yet there are some pet stores that try to be more ethical so it really is down to the individual running the place. This is why we only include some rescues on our locator, those that meet a high standard in care and rehoming policies.

If you want to ensure you are buying from someone more ethical then I would ask to see their set up, ask if you can visit so you can see the care, cleanliness and size of cages and then ask anything that may concern you such as how many litters and what happens to the sows when they have "finished producing stock"

thanks so much, i appreciate it! i went to see this breeder today—found out she owns a family pet shop! her babies were all so happy and healthy. no way her cavies were mistreated. the mother was gorgeous, too!

i ended up grabbing a little boy and driving two hours home! LOL, now he's resting in his new pen. i'm glad i got him!

Back