• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Pigging Out

We noticed Bryce this morning didn't try to run to the grass when hubby picked some for them. He was just sat there in the back of their chair nibbling some hay. So I had to put the grass in front of him to eat it. I weighed him after that and he only weighed 1318g. He is around 1340g (he never gained his weight back after our holiday on Feb, he was around 1430g before). So I fed him critical care and hand fed him his cucumber and melons. He ate around 12mls of cc and the melons but not the cucumbers.

So I put him back down on the floor and before he ran under the table, he squeaked, not happy squeaked though. And I noticed he looks like feeling uncomfortable like when you know how they move their back legs when they can't poop? He was doing that and making this little low sound squeak. He pooped normal though. So I picked him up again and put him inside their cage and he did that squeak again before going inside one of their fleece houses. And he is just there ever since. He usually goes on every bowl of food. Today he wasn't doing that. Hubby phoned the vet and he is taking him to the local vet at 3pm today. I can't go coz I have a dentist appointment at 3:40pm.

I'm worrying it might be something related to his back legs. He has always bunny hopped whenever he runs. I am hoping it's not something like arthritis. He will be 3yrs on June. Isn't that young for having arthritis? Although him being a fatty boy, would it be prone to arthritis? Fingers crossed there won't be any big issue that they see in the vets and that he's just having an off day.

I'm just here in Morrisons at the moment waiting for time to go to dentist. But before hubby dropped me off, Bryce was in the carrier on my lap. He wasn't moving much but when he moved and started digging under the hay, he made that tiny squeek again. So there is something that is hurting him. Hopefully the vet can sort something out. Whitney was sat beside him before we left. We couldn't take her with Bryce because she gets so anxious and scared in the car and usually tries to run around a lot in the carrier, which will only drive Bryce mad.

So we're back home now. Hubby said the vet has checked everything. Listened to Bryce's heart, lungs, stomach, checked the ears, eyes, checked his legs and feet, pee, poop, everything. She couldn't find anything wrong. When she checked his legs, hubby was holding Bryce and kept on biting his hands and fingers, which is normal for him whenever he wants to go down already. Vet just prescribed him Loxicom 0.4ml 2x a day just in case he's feeling some pain.

I already fed him 10mls of critical care again. He likes it so didn't really force him to eat it, which is a good sign because in my experience they refuse it when they are sick and they love it when they're not. He ate melons again. He's also eating hay and we picked up some grass and he ate some of it.

He's perked up enough this afternoon. I put him on the loft after I fed him. He managed to get up on top of their wooden house, and now he just went down the ramp and jumped to the floor and didn't squeek, so seems like no pain when moving. 🤞🏻🤞🏻

So just monitoring him for now and hopefully he'll be okay eventually. I was supposed to do a full clean of their cage today but I will just do that tomorrow so he can have a stress free rest in his cage for today.

Well, looks like we figured something out. He was squeeking whenever he tries to step forward. So it seems like it's his front foot/feet. He wanted to get up the ramp and he couldn't do it. So we think he's feeling pain whenever he puts weight on the foot/feet. His feet looks normal and doesn't look red/swollen. So for tonight, we blocked off the ramp and put the food bowls in the loft where they prefer to sleep. He's due for Loxicom at 10pm so hopefully that will ease whatever pain he is feeling.

So Bryce was 1338g this morning when hubby weighed him when he woke up. He was eating then during the night. I cleaned the bottom floor of their cage last night while they were locked up in the loft. When hubby put him on the floor after feeding him some critical care, which he is bored of now 🙄, he was going thru every food bowl and eating.

So the Loxicom must have made him feel better. He seems okay whenever he washes himself too and standing on 3 legs when doing it. We don't know if whatever he was feeling was pain in the foot pads, the leg muscles, signs of arthritis, or he sprained himself during the night or yesterday morning. He was completely fine Wednesday night.

We allowed him to go out of the cage today to see how he is when walking or running. He seems fine albeit a bit hesitant and/or wobbly before he made a dash. We haven't heard him squeek when walking, apart from when Whitney tried to push him to start walking. He also looks comfortable enough coz he still sleeps lying flat on the floor and not hunched.

We haven't fed Bryce critical care today, apart from a few mls hubby fed him when he woke up this morning. We did get a bag of grass from somewhere and he and Whitney are eating loads of them today. I weighed him before I gave them their tea and he was 1331g, so maintaining his weight today. He is squeeking a bit when walking tonight but he'll be due to take his Loxicom in an hour.

Back