• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Piggy has green crust on nose, please help!

EilyStet

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I am a fairly new owner and I do not know everything about Guinea pigs. My one pig Totoro has green crust around her left nostril, and occasionally seems to breath a bit heavy. That could be because i turn on the heater in my room but, she also sneezes, and tries to wipe her nose. I do not know what to do as my parents refuse to take her to a vet, and I am not sure what is wrong. From what i have seen she poops, pees, eats, and drink. She is not very active ((shd never really was)) but, I am very concerned about her and if anyone has advice I would love and appreciate it.

I am a fairly new owner and I do not know everything about Guinea pigs. My one pig Totoro has green crust around her left nostril, and occasionally seems to breath a bit heavy. That could be because i turn on the heater in my room but, she also sneezes, and tries to wipe her nose. I do not know what to do as my parents refuse to take her to a vet, and I am not sure what is wrong. From what i have seen she poops, pees, eats, and drink. She is not very active ((shd never really was)) but, I am very concerned about her and if anyone has advice I would love and appreciate it.

Hi!

Please have your piggy seen for a potentially lethal or permanent damaging bacterial respiratory tract infection; your guinea pig urgently need an antibiotic. It is very ill.
Please show these guides to your parents. The right to receive vet care is one of the basic animal rights; you need to save up for it right from the beginning as part of their weekly maintenance. In the first 2 weeks (UK) or 1 month after purchase (US), a chain pet shop will refund any treatment cost.
Contains information on URI: What to check and look out for in new guinea pigs (vet checks, sexing, parasites&illness)
Children And Guinea Pigs - A Guide For Parents

All the best!

Sorry for spelling errors but, i hope my message is un
Hi!

Please have your piggy seen for a potentially lethal or permanent damaging bacterial respiratory tract infection; your guinea pig urgently need an antibiotic. It is very ill.
Please show these guides to your parents. The right to receive vet care is one of the basic animal rights; you need to save up for it right from the beginning as part of their weekly maintenance. In the first 2 weeks (UK) or 1 month after purchase (US), a chain pet shop will refund any treatment cost.
Contains information on URI: What to check and look out for in new guinea pigs (vet checks, sexing, parasites&illness)
Children And Guinea Pigs - A Guide For Parents

All the best!
I believe her to be sick, i am so worried about my pig. Sadly i live in the USA and vets for them here are very pricey. My parents refuse to take her to a vet even when i show evidence of her being sick. I think i might just have to put her to sleep :(

Your piggy needs to see a vet as she sounds quite ill. It is your parents legal responsibility to to take your piggy to the vet. Have a look at this link.
The Five Freedoms for animals
I agree! She does need a vet. I am very worried about her and I wish to take her to one. I am unsure of the US costs for them though and my parents refuse to pay any vet for my pigs. I am thinking of maybe just putting her sleep so that maybe she will be in less pain. :(

I am sorry you have found yourself in this situation but having her put to sleep will probably cost the same as having her treated! Your parents have a responsibility to take her to the vet for treatment and are in fact breaking the law by denying her treatment. How old is your piggy?

Unfortunately she does need a vet, as she likely needs an antibiotic. I'm a mom too and although I understand not wanting to spend money on animals, that is part of the deal parents make when they agree to take an animal on. I know in the US/Canada guinea pigs are often seen as 'started pets' that don't rate vet care, but that has always bothered me, as they are living things. Many vets have small-animal exam fees that are less than a cat or a dog, and the antibiotics themselves will not be high in cost. I hope you can come to some kind of agreement with your parents. Frankly, putting her to sleep will likely cost MORE than just having the exam and antibiotics. I'm not sure what your parents are expecting in terms of vet costs, but I would encourage you to call around and get some actual rates for them so they have a concrete idea of what the actual cost is.

Many people put money away each month for a vet fund then you have the money to spend ready and waiting.

I agree! She does need a vet. I am very worried about her and I wish to take her to one. I am unsure of the US costs for them though and my parents refuse to pay any vet for my pigs. I am thinking of maybe just putting her sleep so that maybe she will be in less pain. :(
I'm sorry that you parent wont take her, sh
I am sorry you have found yourself in this situation but having her put to sleep will probably cost the same as having her treated! Your parents have a responsibility to take her to the vet for treatment and are in fact breaking the law by denying her treatment. How old is your piggy?
How very true!

I’m sorry that you find yourself in this position. Your piggy really does need to see a vet. Can you try to persuade your parents to take you and the piggy to the vet and offer to do chores or jobs to try to help,pay for the vet bills?
It is a fact of life that if you have pets you will have vets bills. Perhaps you could look into a way of saving each month to help pay the bills?

So sorry for the situation you’re in.
Can’t add to what has been said so I am just offering support

Sorry for spelling errors but, i hope my message is un

I believe her to be sick, i am so worried about my pig. Sadly i live in the USA and vets for them here are very pricey. My parents refuse to take her to a vet even when i show evidence of her being sick. I think i might just have to put her to sleep :(
Where do you live in the USA? I live in Georgia and the vets are not pricey to me.

I’m sorry that you find yourself in this position. Your piggy really does need to see a vet. Can you try to persuade your parents to take you and the piggy to the vet and offer to do chores or jobs to try to help,pay for the vet bills?
It is a fact of life that if you have pets you will have vets bills. Perhaps you could look into a way of saving each month to help pay the bills?
Good idea! I save up money by babysitting, cleaning, and more! You can also start a garage sale and sell thing s that you don't need anymore.

My piggy is only about a year old, she was never very active even as a very little pig.

Where do you live in the USA? I live in Georgia and the vets are not pricey to me.
I live in PA some eye drops for pigs here can be around 200 dollars, at least that is what i have heard. I am planning on trying to get her a vet and if not probably a rescue to someone who can actually get her help.

If you can't persuade your parents to get her to a vet (even though they'd be breaking the law!) please don't PTS :( Surrender her to a rescue instead so she can get the help she needs!
I totally agree. My only fear is her cage mate truffles, who is very healthy. I would not want her to be lonely. I love them both and i fear seperation. They have been together for their whole lives, and I'm not sure if i shpuld seperate them or give them both to the shelter.

I tried to do that and honestly they think i am crazy. They say she is not sick but, clearly she is. I am maybe planning on giving them to a shelter and if not to a close friend or relative, both of whom have offered to take my piggies. I only wish for the best for my pigs.

Back