• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Pigs fighting, please help.

ellapuke

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have 2 guinea pigs (females) . One is 2 years old and the other is 1 years old. They have a big cage and are taken care of regularly . They have lived together for 4-6 months and there was no fighting. But one day when i was sleeping i heard really loud noises of them fighting, so i separated the cage...after one day i went to school, when i came home i hoped that everything was ok, but it wasn't. They were still fighting. Before a fight they chatter their teeth and then the older one starts chasing and biting the younger one (i haven't seen any blood yet), but the younger one is supposed to be the dominant one. Where they have a separation ( a wall) they go to it rumblestrut ,and chatter their teeth. I don't know what to do and if this will end. Please help me, i don't know what to do! Thank you.
(Sorry if i have mistakes I'm not english )

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello welcome to the forum.

Your English is fine. I have removed your age and unfortunately I will have to delete your account as you need to be over 16 legally to use the forum due to GDPR law. You signed up to the forum stating you where over 16, once you declare you aren't we have no choice but to terminate your account

I will do this tonight at midnight UK time, to give you time to read the forum

As for the issue I think your piggies are in 'season' possibly, but the biting is not in line with season behaviour. So hard to tell

Please read these guides
Sow Behaviour
When Sows Experience A Strong Season (videos)
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
Bonds In Trouble

It may be worth attempting to re bond in a neutral area

Bonding: Illustrated Dominance Behaviours And Dynamics

I have 2 guinea pigs (females) . One is 2 years old and the other is 1 years old. They have a big cage and are taken care of regularly . They have lived together for 4-6 months and there was no fighting. But one day when i was sleeping i heard really loud noises of them fighting, so i separated the cage...after one day i went to school, when i came home i hoped that everything was ok, but it wasn't. They were still fighting. Before a fight they chatter their teeth and then the older one starts chasing and biting the younger one (i haven't seen any blood yet), but the younger one is supposed to be the dominant one. Where they have a separation ( a wall) they go to it rumblestrut ,and chatter their teeth. I don't know what to do and if this will end. Please help me, i don't know what to do! Thank you.
(Sorry if i have mistakes I'm not english )

Hi and welcome!

Please have your older sow checked for ovarian cysts preferably by a vet with experience with guinea pigs. Small growing cysts can cause aggressive behaviour. Nipping and chasing is common dominance behaviour and typical for cystic sows - they behave like they are constantly experiencing a strong season. Treatment is either by hormone (chorulon/hcg) injections (UK) or an implant (US) or a full spaying operation. Neither is very cheap; for an operation you want a vet that is experienced with guinea pig or small exotics operations.
Sow Behaviour

Give them a day or two cool down before you try a re-introduction. Don't try as long as they keep teeth chattering at each other - it will end up in a fight before you can get your fingers into an oven glove.
Sadly sometimes sows can fall out when the hormones take over; they can also suddenly decide that another guinea pig is no longer part of their group - even with a sister they have lived with for 5 years. If it is any consolation, it has happened to two sows of mine this summer. :(
Bonds In Trouble
Bonding: Illustrated Dominance Behaviours And Dynamics

Back