• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Pink Urine And Slight Lethargy

Arwen

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm a super new piggie owner and I'm having some problems. My guinea pig Peggy started to urinate pink and orange-ish liquid. We have only had her for less than a month, and have only fed her plain pellets and timothy hay. We are trying to introduce her to leafy greens because I don't think she is used to eating vegetable. So far she is very picky and refused carrots, apple, orange, and grapes, the only things she is willing to eat is bok-choy and lettuce (not iceberg). She ate one piece of bok-choy and one piece of lettuce the night before she urinated pink. A little while ago she also started to sleep/lay down a few times during the day, but is very alert when we call her name, though I can't be sure if that's new because I wasn't home around noon for the last few weeks. So far everything else is normal and there are no other symptoms of illness and no pain. Is she sick? Or is everything normal (napping during day, picky eating, pink urine)? I would really appreciate it if anyone can answer these questions, we are all very worried. Thank you!

Hello, welcome to the forum

Could you add your location to your profile so we can talor any advice to your geographical location?

Is the wee coming out orange or turning that colour? Is she making any crying sounds or hunching when weeing?

As an aside fruit should really be a treat. Please stay off any stone fruit and most exotic fruits. Fruit fed too much or too often can lead to painful fungal or bacterial mouth and lip sores (cheilitis).

When it comes to hay, feed a good meadow hay - unlimited. We then also feed Timothy and orchard grass to mix things up for them and keep their interest

Change pellets and hay daily from the cage, we top our hay up twice a day and throw the old stuff out as they wee in it.

We feed ours this roughly
Morning:
Cucumber
Celery
1/6th of Red/Green/Yellow Bell Pepper (de-seeded)

Evening:
Cucumber
Two Little Gem Lettuce leaves or 10 sprigs Coriander or Parsley or Cabbage ( of some type)

We also add in to the above diet carrot, sweet potato, celery leaves and a few other things occasionally

Have a read of the threads in the food section for idea on peoples pigs diet

Try some coriander or bell pepper (de seeded) and cucumber pigs tend to like these.

Napping in day is normal also, piggies sleep then are active then sleep and are active again throughout day and night

Hello, welcome to the forum

Could you add your location to your profile so we can talor any advice to your geographical location?

Is the wee coming out orange or turning that colour? Is she making any crying sounds or hunching when weeing?

As an aside fruit should really be a treat. Please stay off any stone fruit and most exotic fruits. Fruit fed too much or too often can lead to painful fungal or bacterial mouth and lip sores (cheilitis).

When it comes to hay, feed a good meadow hay - unlimited. We then also feed Timothy and orchard grass to mix things up for them and keep their interest

Change pellets and hay daily from the cage, we top our hay up twice a day and throw the old stuff out as they wee in it.

We feed ours this roughly
Morning:
Cucumber
Celery
1/6th of Red/Green/Yellow Bell Pepper (de-seeded)

Evening:
Cucumber
Two Little Gem Lettuce leaves or 10 sprigs Coriander or Parsley or Cabbage ( of some type)

We also add in to the above diet carrot, sweet potato, celery leaves and a few other things occasionally

Have a read of the threads in the food section for idea on peoples pigs diet

Try some coriander or bell pepper (de seeded) and cucumber pigs tend to like these.

Napping in day is normal also, piggies sleep then are active then sleep and are active again throughout day and night
Hi thanke you so much for your reply! The urine was a mix of orange and pink when it’s first out, then turned darker pink after exposed to air.

Hi thanke you so much for your reply! The urine was a mix of orange and pink when it’s first out, then turned darker pink after exposed to air.

Urine does often turn darker when left.

A vets trip will be able to test the urine for presence of blood which may indicate an infection and be treated by antibiotics, We always keep some dipstick urine test strips in too check wee. Do you have a good vet local to you.

Edit: The pellets in her bowl looks chewed up and spite out, but is still in one piece. She also started to run and pop like crazy for a minute after I called her name. The colour of new urine turned a bit more orange.

Is she eating her pellets okay? Is she eating hay? Running and popcorning is good :)

Urine can change to orange due to chemicals and colouring in some foods, you could do with getting the urine tested. Any crying when urinating?

She i
Is she eating her pellets okay? Is she eating hay? Running and popcorning is good :)

Urine can change to orange due to chemicals and colouring in some foods, you could do with getting the urine tested. Any crying when urinating?
She is eating the pellets and hay okay, and as far as I can see, no crying or any signs of discomfort when peeing.

She i

She is eating the pellets and hay okay, and as far as I can see, no crying or any signs of discomfort when peeing.

It sounds like everything is okay. Urine can oxidise when exposed to the air so it can turn orange, even dark brown.

As you're new to guineas and to get some peace of mind I'd recommend a vet visit. The vet will be able to give her a general check over for you and test her urine to make sure there is no blood.

Whenever I get a new piggy I book them in to the vet for a general check. They can spot something that I might miss and if all is okay it starts to get the piggy used to seeing the vet.

Hello everyone! I'm a super new piggie owner and I'm having some problems. My guinea pig Peggy started to urinate pink and orange-ish liquid. We have only had her for less than a month, and have only fed her plain pellets and timothy hay. We are trying to introduce her to leafy greens because I don't think she is used to eating vegetable. So far she is very picky and refused carrots, apple, orange, and grapes, the only things she is willing to eat is bok-choy and lettuce (not iceberg). She ate one piece of bok-choy and one piece of lettuce the night before she urinated pink. A little while ago she also started to sleep/lay down a few times during the day, but is very alert when we call her name, though I can't be sure if that's new because I wasn't home around noon for the last few weeks. So far everything else is normal and there are no other symptoms of illness and no pain. Is she sick? Or is everything normal (napping during day, picky eating, pink urine)? I would really appreciate it if anyone can answer these questions, we are all very worried. Thank you!

Hi!

Is your guinea pig a single or has she company? Guinea pigs are group animals and should not be kept alone. Especially young piggies are desperate for the support and guidance of other piggies.
Pickiness when eating, sleeping a lot from boredom when there is nopig to interact with, later on developing annoying attention seeking behaviours is typical for single piggies that lack the round the clock stimulation and interaction from their own kind. A human just cannot replace that.
The best health cure you can give a single piggy is a same gender companion.
Please make sure that you double check the gender of both piggies involved before any introductions and that you follow our bonding tips if you do for success. You cannot just dump another piggy into a cage.
Companionship

Here is our diet guide. You may find that very helpful. Most of our long term members feed a diet that is based around our sample diet. We have made good experiences with it in terms of greater longevity (barring medical problems).
Guinea pigs like all rodents don't have a vomit reflex but they have double the amount of taste buds compared to us humans (and a multiple to that of cats). They learn what is safe to eat from their elders by smell and by snatching food from their elders' mouths. They also learn drinking from awater bottle from their elders' example. If that hasn't happened, then it is all much more difficult and takes a lot longer to establish. The pickiness at the beginning is a simple survival reflex when a piggy doesn't know what is safe and what is poisonous. We cannot tell it that.
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diet

You control the food intake by weighing and the overall weight/size ratio by feeling around the ribcage (for details see the guide below). Generally you weigh a piggy once weekly as part of their normal health check. You switch to weighing once daily at the same time in the feeding cycle (like before its dinner or breakfast) if you suspect illness. If you have anxiety issues, please ask your partner/family to do it for you as you can become easily obsessed with health worrying. 80% or more of the daily weight intake should be hay; that is not something you can control by just watching your piggy nibble on a strand.
The Importance Of Weighing - Ideal Weight / Overweight / Underweight
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig

Blood is generally pink and not orange/rusty in colour. With urinary tract issues, you can get deep red pees that do not contain blood and clear pees that score high on a stick at the onset; it is not quite clear cut. See a vet if there is a noticeable deterioration (loss of appetite/weight over 50g/2 oz in within a day or two) and giving sound/being in pain when peeing or pooing.
If your piggy has never had much in the way of veg, then the colour is very likely from a stronger reaction to what you are feeding in that respect. If the urine is clear when it leaves the body but discolours in contact with the air, which most urine does, then that is oxidisation. Most piggies do that as urine usually contains a certain amount of bacteria. Any patches should dry an even colour with a slightly darker rim in the same tone. Blood in the urine doesn't mix; it is visible either as small pinkish/reddish dots in a dried urine puddle or as a reddish ring around the urine puddle that is not the same colour as the puddle if there is a lot of blood in the urine. I hope that that helps you?

As your baby is still popcorning, I would frankly not worry.

You can find most of these and a number more useful guides, like how to understand piggies and a use a spot of piggy whispering to make friends with them as well as learn what is normal and what is not via our New Owners guide collection: New Owners' Problem Solver And Information Collection

Hello and welcome!
I can't add any more good advice as that's already been covered by other Forum members! The guides are really helpful and re-read frequently by everyone on here when we need to refresh our memory on some subjects. I'll just reiterate the advice though to get her a friend ASAP! as all animals need to interact with one or more of their own kind! I don't feel as guilty of I've got to go out someday and leave mine as they have all the rest of the tribe to keep them company!

Thank you so much everyone for the wonderful answers. We are very happy to say that Peggy is doing great now, the urine had returned to a normal colour and she is as energetic as ever. Again, thank you all very much!

Back