• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Poop question?

acdcfan1234

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So 3 days ago one of my pigs past away, he was rushed to an emergency vet and diagnosed with pneumonia but passed away that night...after he past I totally disinfected the cage and bedding for my remaining pig. My vet said it’s possible but not likely my other pig would have caught it, so to watch for the same symptoms the other had and I have been. But he’s Eating and drinking normal, I went out and got some his favorite veggies (kale and carrots) just so I knew he was eating and he didn’t get depressed or any thing losing his brother. But his poops are real dry and shriveled up and small and not many...

I’m short on money after the emergency trip for my other pig so I’m trying to see if I can sort it out with out a vet but if it sounds serious I can do my best to take him.

He’s eating pelletts, hay, kale and carrots, he is drinking, active as usual (does seem lonely), I don’t believe he lost any weight.

THE one that passed was dehydrated, crusty eyes, not eating, lethargic. Total opposite of what the living one showing...

Suggestions? Input?

Does he get endless supply of hay?
Hay will help with digestion, which will help with his poop. If he isn't pooping enough or properly, maybe he might have to have better diet like ample supply of hay.

Mine get endless supply of hay, pellets, and veggies three times a day. Their poops are huge, dark, and meaty. They also poop a lot and very often. Mine also get fruits as treats 2-3 times a week.

Yes has lots of hay, gets a scoop of pellets every day and put on hogh fiber veggies to see if it helps

:agr: About small or less poop meaning he isn’t eating enough.
Hay needs to be the main part of the diet. When you say a scoop of pellets, how much do you mean? They should only have one tablespoon of pellets a day. Too many pellets and he won’t eat enough hay.
A vet check would be in order just to check there are no obvious underlying issues, but if no issues are found, having a new friend may help.

So 3 days ago one of my pigs past away, he was rushed to an emergency vet and diagnosed with pneumonia but passed away that night...after he past I totally disinfected the cage and bedding for my remaining pig. My vet said it’s possible but not likely my other pig would have caught it, so to watch for the same symptoms the other had and I have been. But he’s Eating and drinking normal, I went out and got some his favorite veggies (kale and carrots) just so I knew he was eating and he didn’t get depressed or any thing losing his brother. But his poops are real dry and shriveled up and small and not many...

I’m short on money after the emergency trip for my other pig so I’m trying to see if I can sort it out with out a vet but if it sounds serious I can do my best to take him.

He’s eating pelletts, hay, kale and carrots, he is drinking, active as usual (does seem lonely), I don’t believe he lost any weight.

THE one that passed was dehydrated, crusty eyes, not eating, lethargic. Total opposite of what the living one showing...

Suggestions? Input?

Smaller than normal poos indicate a diminished food intake; the poos you see are usually running about a day behind the intake.

The one big food group you cannot control by eye and which is making over 80% of the daily food intake is hay.
Please switch from weighing once weekly as part of the life long regular health check to weighing daily at the same time (supermarket kitchen scales are perfectly adequate for that) in order to monitor the food intake. Step in with offering additional syringe feed and contact your vet if your piggy has lost more than 50g/2 oz in a day or the space of just a few days.
Our illustrated step-by-step how to syringe feeding guide shows you exactly how you go about and what you can do with what you have at home or easily available in an emergency, We have it written specially for inexperienced members: Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

My piggies' poop compared with a golf size toy they play with. I think they are big, meaty, and chunky. They also put out a lot and do it often.
IMG_4341.JPG

Suggestions? Input?
i had a pig with pneumonia, although my boar survived it, it didnt spread to my other pig.

Back