• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Possible Bullying Amongst My New Young Cavy And Existing Cavy

TGStephenson

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey there! So in November I adopted Hank (I renamed him to Rodney from Dr. Dolittle) from a nice woman and her daughters, unfortunately one of her daughters was allergic to him so they had to give him up. He’s about a year old. Once I got him home I didn’t know the first thing about guinea pigs or how to care for them or anything really. I started watching YouTube videos on how to interact with him and so on and found out single guineas are lonely animals. Which made a lot of sense because recently he just seemed depressed and he was aggressive towards me, he would bite it just wasn’t good.
So the other day I adopted him a younger male companion about 4 months old and Rodney is so happy with his new roommate lol he wouldn’t stop weeking it’s so nice to see he’s so excited and happy! however, they did their little dance in whose boss and my young guinea pig turned out to be the dominant one over my older piggy! I was kinda surprised which made me wonder if my younger piggy may be a bully? He kinda comondeered Rodney’s bigger bed and kicked him out, I feel kinda bad for Rodney his bed is plenty big for the both of them but my new little guinea pig doesn’t wanna share the nice big warm bed. Is this something I should just give more time and maybe things will work out or do I have a possible bully on my hands?

To me it sounds like normal dominance behaviour. My 4 piggies will not share a bed with each other. Even though they get on really well. If there aren't 4 beds, you can guarantee the least dominant pig is kicked out and has to find somewhere else to sleep. I feel sorry for her all the time but remind myself that that's just how pig hierarchy works.

Can you get them matching beds so you don't feel bad for Rodney?

There's always a boss pig, and not always the one you expect! My smallest pig is the top piggy and my biggest is bottom of the heap. It sounds like totally normal dominance behaviour.
It's easy to put human emotions onto Guinea pigs: whereas we think everyone should be equal.... not in the piggy world they're not, but they Need that hierarchy and structure so much that the first thing they do when they meet a new piggy is to sort out who's in charge.
It sounds like your original boy is really happy with his new boss, lol.

Sounds absolutely normal to me, but have a read of the guides recommended above, and make sure no one can get trapped anywhere (use houses with 2 exits), and make sure there is 2 of everything so there is no fighting. Would love to see photos of them.

Reenie: Rodney is incredibly happier now that I brought Jedi home to him. Before he just stayed in his bed and wouldn’t socialize with me. He overall just seemed depressed and that’s when I decided it was time to get him a buddy. I came downstairs this morning to find they were both in their own hidey beds and when I came home from work just now they were both in Rodney’s big bed! I’m still letting them acclimate with each other before I bring them both out to the floor so I can introduce myself to the newer piggy. I will be doing that today!

Reenie: Rodney is incredibly happier now that I brought Jedi home to him. Before he just stayed in his bed and wouldn’t socialize with me. He overall just seemed depressed and that’s when I decided it was time to get him a buddy. I came downstairs this morning to find they were both in their own hidey beds and when I came home from work just now they were both in Rodney’s big bed! I’m still letting them acclimate with each other before I bring them both out to the floor so I can introduce myself to the newer piggy. I will be doing that today!

Awww that's so sweet. Sounds like they are a perfect match!

I do have a question about a noise Rodney (my older male) is making. I’ve been looking on google for the answers or YouTube even, but I can’t figure it out. So it seems like when Jedi uses his dominance to say for instance take over the food bowl, or jumps into the Rodney’s big bed and then Rodney comes out, he walks around very slowly and makes a deep purring/rumbling noise. I can’t tell if it’s a sound of irritation and agitation or what. Would someone maybe know of what his sound and body language means? Like I said I’ve looked up the meanings but the translations I’m finding don’t seem accurate to what I’m seeing and hearing from him.

It's called rumbling and is another dominance behaviour that makes the pig appear bigger to the other. My two boys are rumblers and seem to always be doing it- either at me or each other lol. So long as your elder pig is able to eat and drink I wouldn't worry. I do agree with the above about getting another comfy bed perhaps- with two boars it's a great idea to have two of everything to prevent hogging.

It's rumblestrutting. If you watch you'll notice that he's also moving his rear end from side to side. It's perfectly normal, especially for boys..... You'll see a lot of it! Mild dominance behaviour. One of mine hardly ever just walks, he does it constantly.

Back